dcsimg

ASM with windows XP

Whenever i try to compile any 16-bit apps in asm with win XP they refuse to work, but if i take any 32-bit sample apps they work fine... does this have anything to do with win XP not being built off of dos or am i just stupid?? If i can download anything (like dos) to make these programs run can anyone tell me where to get them??
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Just Another Geek
    16 bit apps should be able to run on XP. They will probably run under an NTVDM. Maybe you need to add some compile options? And how do you mean 'refuse to work'? What is the error message?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

yea... i can vouch for SirDice, 16bit apps work for me as well

I will clarify SirDice's post by adding NTVDM is NT Vitual Dos Machine which is a NT's protected mode for executing 16-bit apps, aka the Command prompt. Due to the nature of memory adressing a 16-bit app will not run properly in a native 32-bit OS hence the VDM which uses virtual memory adresses to allow a 16-bit app to execute properly as well as allowing DOS style interupt calls (the 16-bit app thinks its making direct hardware calls but is actually interpreted by the NT kernel making sure you dont do anything you shouldnt) Also make sure the compiler is set to compile in 16 bit mode or it will not work.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

The Iceman Cometh
    I can probably help, but I need to know what Assembler you're using?

AJ

Sry i didnt tell you what type of assembler i was using i have radasm which has a verson of masm tasm and hla

the normal command prompt used in Windows is CMD.EXE, however command.com is still present in Windows XP.
    I am not sure of the exact location of command.com (linux ) but it is there somewhere in the system32 folder I think.
    This will allow you to run 'legacy' apps.
    Otherwise you could always try to the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/lgcyapps.asp

maybe this will help my case, every time i try to compile a 16-bit app i get this error:
    nonee.obj : warning LNK4078: multiple ".data" sections found with different attributes (C0220040)