Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: education level

MSc in Immunology/Genetics, currently working on a diploma in VB.net cos I thought it time to update some programming skills.

would agree with bballad... don't hurt to have a masters but unless you're going into teaching/research don't bother going past this level - companies prefer you to have more experience these days

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Like one of them said. All depends on what u looking for. I have a B App Sc for Computer Engineering. I wanted to get into networking and security. So the best path for me was to get to work in the field and get the necessary experience. All the while, I'm tryign to learn thru reading stuff in books and on the net. Also self studying in the various pro certs like CCNA to get jobs where i get to play with more equipment.

masters would be a good idea if u intend on getting into management or doing programming or teaching. other than that it doesnt really help in the networking field cos things change so fast what u learn is out of date the moment u learn it. but even after saying that, if u have the aptitude to study and get thru exams and stuff,it might be a good idea to get it to add to ur resume to get to get the leg up over the competition when trying for a job u really want.

Starting College this fall.

Major is going to be a bachelors in Networking and Communications. this degree sounds like its part networking and part speech, but basically when I complete it I will be designing, and presenting networks to companies.
    =

Working on a BS as an network admin.

I have enough credits for an AAS, but I doubt that it would help much in getting a good job. So I'll keep plugging away in night classes and hopefully get the BS in a couple of more years.

Question to anyone already in my prospective line of work.
    What is more desirable to employers these days? Education, certifications or experience? Or what combination of the three?

I have very little real-world experience other than as a independent tech/cpnsultant..and some intern time at a college district office.
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Hmmmm...

Failed Medical Student in the dim & distant past - I have symapthies for those who smoked too much pot & drank themselves into a stupor.

BSc - Joint Honors Programming & Programming Design/Systems Management & Change (What a mouthful)
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Well the market is starting to correct but as of now certs area dime a dozen (too many paper certs during the boom years), and guys with 5+ years of experience are a dime a dozen, so get the degree (a lot of people includeing myself droped out or sckiped that part to take part in the boom) and seperate your self from the pack.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    BS in CIS - NYU - Sigma *** Laude
    Stern School of Business NYU - MBA Finance - Sigma *** Laude

The U.S. Army also educated me as did the streets of NY.
    1st Cavalry Division, 3rd Brigade 2nd Bn 7th Cav Rgmt.

My masters degree has done nothing for my computer career. I went for it because I know all too well how crooked banks and bankers are. A masters degree in finance sounded like the way to go in order to level the playing field. The idea was that I wanted full control and full understanding of my finances. Those who used to hang out on N3kroo know that I have a solid grasp .

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Dead Man Walking
    wow im not sure i should post this cause now all the bigshot degree people are going to laugh at me. Im a highschool drop out. seriously not a recomended chioce in educational paths. I got my a+ cert dont have time to get more right now cause im busy driving a truck. DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO IMPROVE YOURSELF WHILE YOU CAN