Editing XP Startup/Shutdown screen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing XP Startup/Shutdown screen

Editing XP Startup/Shutdown screen

IS there ne way to edit the XP startup/shutdown screen? I know there's a program that you can download that makes it all easy and stuff, but that just makes me feel like a script kiddy Thanks

and what's so leet about changing those screens ???

\"it is better to stay silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt\"

You can find info about custom start up/shutdown screens on www.themexp.org plus download custom designs on that site. Here's how you can install a custom log on screen for example:

- Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\logonui.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe - the logon)
    - Download the .zip to your computer
    - Extract logonui.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32 (most likely C:\windows\system32)
    - Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)
    - Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\logonui.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe
    - Reboot your computer as you normally would
    Carrie: Someone\'s definition of what constitutes cheating is in direct proportion to how much they themselves want to cheat.
    Miranda: That\'s moral relativism!
    Carrie: I prefer to think of it as quantum cheating.

because every uber-cool h4x0r has their winblows startup screen replaced ...

www.bootxp.net
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Let me warn you though about changing the startup screen in XP. When you do find a file to replace your current file, do be careful.

When I replaced my startup screen in XP everything went to hell. Once it got to Starting Windows XP ( I replaced it with a Loggin onto CIA Database ) the whole computer restarted, and I never could get back to the desktop. I tried safe mode, tried replacing the file witht the original one from the disk, but it denied me access. So do be careful.
    =

Banned
    1st: It's Script Kiddie
    2nd: Why go harder way if there is an easier way
    And anyways who knows if you using a prog to change it or do it urself

Thanks for the help for those who did, and for everyone asking "y do it the hard way" it's because I like to know what a program is doing. What did u do Cheyenne, is ur comp totally screwed now or could you recover it?

Be sure to backup your boot.ini file while your at it.

If you already mucked it up, here is the contents of it:

"[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Just save that as boot.ini and copy it over the existing one. Then try and do it all over again. :-p

__

When i changed my boot screens i used booteditor. ThemeXP has the link to it on their site:

http://www.belchfire.net/~userxp/indexbe.htm

Of course I fixed my computer, I'm a computer expert. lol. At least in my mind I am.

I had to reinstall my OS, But everything is working fine.

when you replace your startup screen you replace a file in your system32 folder called ntoskrnl.

Make sure you create a backup of this file.
    =