Thread: Forcing a console "beep"?

Forcing a console "beep"?

Is there a way to remotely cause a server's internal speaker to beep? I realize that you can force a beep on your own terminal by doing something like:

perl -e 'print "\a";'

But is it possible for someone to force a beep on the internal speaker if they're not on the console?
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Are you talking about linux?

If so... check out something like http://linux.iconet.com.br/mmedia/preview/8139.html

There are more out there...

I'm note sure if that is what you're looking for...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

good question roswell, i wish i had an answer for ya... although i couldn't get yer code to run using the Perl win_binary from Activestate... this is what i had to do...

perl -e "print \"\a\";"

any way to print the Bell character (ASCII Value 7 i think?)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Hey phishphreak80. I really meant any flavor of *nix, but Linux specifically. Sorry I didn't specify that. However, I've found many of these "beep" programs out there that don't activate the PC speaker, but the active terminal bell. If you're on the console directly, that bell will be the PC speaker, but if you're on a remote terminal it's just a system bell through your soundcard. Anyway to ring that PC speaker bell without being on the console?

Actually, folks, the beep program that was suggested by phishphreak80 worked like a charm. It can specify tone and duration, which is pretty handy. Thanks phish!

tampabay420 -- you're right, the ascii value of the console bell is 007. Very Bondish.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */