Thread: windows boot, OS selection

windows boot, OS selection

Ever since I formatted, and re-installed Windows XP... I get an additional step when I boot up my computer. I end up at a screen where I have to choose which Windows installation I wish to boot with, and my options are Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional, lol. The first one works just fine, but I get an error when I try the second one (obviously the pre-format installation). Does anybody know how to get rid of this?

Probably not the right way to do it, but if you :

control panel->system

There should be a startup/recovery options under an advanced tab. You can select the OS you want there and set the timer to 0. Or at least that is what I did when that happened...but I am sometimes lazy that way

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

ahh, but is this just a quick fix??

Unhide the protected operating system files

Find the Boot.ini file on the root and remove the read only attribute

Open the Boot.ini with notepad or wordpad and you should see both operating systems listed there.

Delete the operating system line that does no respond. (For the operating system that you want to keep make sure the default line, after = is contained in the operating system line.)

Save the file and reboot

You should not see the both operating systems listed.

Yea, thats what nebulus said to do... except it's a GUI to edit the boot file.. it all worked just fine and dandy