Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Weaknesses?

Question Windows Weaknesses?

So, everybody loves to make fuss of things about windows. I personally feel every tool can be efficient if used properly. Today, someone asked me to outline 10 points why geeks think that Windows is unsafe?

I can think of 1 at the moment. Love to see your reason!

1 - access to root
    2 - [your reason]
    3 - [your reason]
    4 - [your reason]
    5 - [your reason]
    6 - [your reason]
    Life would have been alot easier if I had the source code!

central registry
    embedded applications ie. Internet explorer
    lack of diversity , as in most everyone uses outlook express and IE
    closed source
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

1 Files are shattered all over your disk (do you know what the files do ?)
    2 It is closed source (do you know what your files do ?)
    3 initial sequence prediction
    4 VBScript/ActiveX (Do you know what is happening when you browse the web ?)
    5 Bad code/DLL injection
    6 Bad implemantation of default mail client, highly vulnarable.
    7 Open ports that dont need to be opened on a normal install (135, 137-139, 445, 1024, 1900,5000,)
    8 Bad documentation
    9 Bad impemantation of a firewall (XP) which interferes with other firewalls.
    10 Lack of anylising tools.

You asked for ten, I just made ten up quickly.
    Interesting question. I really want to see more opinions on this one.
    Keep in mind that MS developed Windows originally with 'Ease of Use' in mind, not security. This was quite a while back. They did a pretty good job in developing an easy to use system. But today we need secure systems.

I like MS OSes as long as they are behind NAT or protected by a good FW.

*sigh* Another Microsoft bashing thread.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    *sigh* Another Microsoft bashing thread.
    lol, what's new??

Read the following story and you'll know why I was making fuss of M$ Windows again!
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

Keep in mind that MS developed Windows originally with 'Ease of Use' in mind, not security. This was quite a while back. They did a pretty good job in developing an easy to use system. But today we need secure systems.
    But M$ still insists their systems are secure! hehe
    Life would have been alot easier if I had the source code!

But M$ still insists their systems are secure! hehe
    No they dont.
    They started a 'trusthworthy computing initiative' because they realise what time is it.
    They never intended to make their systems secure untill a couple of months ago when the TWComputing started.
    They made their systems with ease of use in mind and they did a pretty good job at it.
    Now with highspeed internet available to more and more people they realised that security is a big issue.
    If you connected your Windows 95 to a BBS you did not have to worry about all the skids and other scum you have to worrie about now. Security was not that much of an issue back then.
    Do the knowledge.

Never thought i would see a pakiblue person in here. For those of you who dont know pakiblue or pakisblue (think thats right) is a hacker group. They have a website out there somewhere but my question is why would you choose that name if your not one of them and if you are why would you join a security site?
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Banned
    Hmm Windows security issues...

it is funny, many of the things several of you have said are not only not weaknesses, but are in fact security strengths and are part of why the NT line is the most secure standard operating system. (central registry!)

Others of you are just off in lala land (Windows doesn't have a root user!)

The main security issues Windows suffers starting with the most obvious include:

Too large a market. This means that a good portion of it's users will not be nor inclined to be educated on the system, thus requiring MS to ship a more functional, less secure product. While on an objective system vs system comparison Windows beats the hell out of systems like Linux and even OpenBSD as far as security is concerned. (against both tcsec and iso15408)

Windows lacks mandatory access controls. Add a two tier MAC system (hierarchical + intralevel domians) for both integrity and confidentiality and Windows would be in the top 5 most secure operting systems that exist (up there with the likes of STOP, LOCK, and AITS)

Lastly NT has been designed with security foremost in mind since NT 3.51 hence it features a nice balance between usability (simple ACL inhieritance) and high security that doesn't require the users to learn new things. (B2 audit trails)

catch

While on an objective system vs system comparison Windows beats the hell out of systems like Linux and even OpenBSD as far as security is concerned. (against both tcsec and iso15408)
    Your probably going to catch hell for that one catch. Personally though I agree. I have been using windows for years without any problems...other than the bsod...and I haven't had a single one of those since upgrading to xp. I have never had a virus or worm infect my computer, nor has it ever been hacked. Windows is always pointed to as the "unsecure" os because of the publicity M/S receives in general. Why are they always having virus' and worms developed against them? For the simple reason that they have the most popular os out there. You buy a computer...it has windows on it (until recently or else you bought a mac). Why should the skiddies and haxors "waste the time" trying to learn how to crack a linux box when there are so many thousands more out there with windows on them. IF linux or any other os ever engenders the popularity that windows receives then you can bet your ass that the skiddies and the haxors are going to get busier against them too.
    Thats my opinion and I'll probably get burned for it too.