microsoft update (not!)

Thread: microsoft update (not!)

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

microsoft update (not!)

I recently tried to manually do a Windows Update on a WinXP (home) box and when the Microsoft update site tried to scan my computer to see what I needed I got an error message and a notice about emailing the error to Microsoft.

It looks like my IE 6 is dinked. Is there an easy way to "refresh" this embedded monster?

The option worked, maybe a month ago. So I'm reluctant to try a system restore.

Suprisingly, the automatic update system seems to work. I know I probably should have included the error message with this post, I'll write it down next time I fire that box up.

Thanks
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    Have you tried re-installing IE?

jag291

I tried installing IE6.1, but it won't load as it says there is a current version already loaded.

In previous versions of windows you could uninstall IE then reload it. I'm not sure about XP.

I was running 98 up until a month ago, I resisted upgrading it but had to for other family members. I've got a dual boot system with Redhat on a second drive, for the most part I keep Windows running so my wife and kids can run Office. This is one of the reasons I hate Microsoft, IE is embedded into the OS. With Redhat's RPM system you can always uninstall a package and then reinstall it. I'm sure I'll become an XP expert before this one is fixed.
    ddddc

318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;318378

maybe this will help with the IE problem,

or this

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_r...e_and_oe_6.htm
    \"it is better to stay silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt\"

Thank you for the posts. Using the system file checker fixed the problem. Don't know what it was but it's fixed now.

Thanks again!
    ddddc