Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft abandons Outlook Express

Microsoft abandons Outlook Express

might be the world's most widely distributed email client, but Microsoft has confirmed that it has no intention of further developing Outlook Express.

"[Outlook Express] just sits where it is," said Dan Leach, lead product manager for Microsoft's information worker product management group. "The technology doesn't go away, but no new work is being done. It is consumer email in an early iteration, and our investment in the consumer space is now focused around Hotmail and MSN. That's where we're putting the emphasis in terms of new investment and new development work."
    just check it out here : http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,3...9115680,00.htm
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

FINALLY... they seriously need to just package Outlook with all their systems, Outlook express was a joke, lol

Unhappy

I [glowpurple]highly[/glowpurple] doubt M$ packaging Outlook (Full) with Windows maybe some stripped down version

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Outlook express was a joke
    Actually, it isn't. OE is a streamlined version of Outlook, which performs better and is much more stable. How many home users actaully utilize all of the advanced functions of Outlook? Not many. Personally, I'd prefer seeing Outlook thrown in the can rather than OE but this seems to be tainted with the smell of Billy Buck$ and not what end users prefer.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by strykerfenix
    I [glowpurple]highly[/glowpurple] doubt M$ packaging Outlook (Full) with Windows maybe some stripped down version
    Wasnt that outlook express in the first place?

for e-mail I usually use Kmail, Ximian, Pine, Or Mutt.

I am glad that microsoft has finally given up on Outlook. I am sick and tired of downloading all these updates for the ever growing threat of security holes. Now that they discontinue work on the technology, does that mean home users are left with no defense to new exploits?
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

The Iceman Cometh
    It looks as if they're not abandoning it after all...

Microsoft says support for its stripped-down e-mail client will continue, but as part of future Windows clients.

Outlook Express, Microsoft Corp.'s free, stripped-down version of Outlook, is not on its last legs, contrary to reports published reports this week, Microsoft said.
    But exactly how Microsoft will continue to support OE remains a bit murky.

OE currently ships as part of Internet Explorer. And Microsoft has admitted begrudgingly that it has no plans to continue to support a standalone version of IE going forward. The current and seemingly final version of IE for Windows is Service Pack 1 for IE 6. Future IE releases will be bundled into future versions of Windows only.

It seems the same is true of OE, although Microsoft isn't stating the situation as plainly as that.

"The word is that Microsoft will continue to ship Outlook Express code in Windows and will support it as needs of customers arise," according to a company spokeswoman, asked for comment on a published report on OE's demise.

The OE team is currently part of the Windows team, the spokeswoman added. She did not comment on whether Microsoft will continue to advance the OE product, or support only the current iteration.

OE isn't Microsoft's only free e-mail client. The company has been pushing its Hotmail client as its preferred free e-mail solution. For users who want full e-mail functionality, as well as client support for Microsoft's Exchange Server, Microsoft offers its full-blown Outlook client.

There is no information on any change in Microsoft's support plans for OE on the OE home page on Microsoft's Web site. The page states, simply, that users need to download IE in order to obtain OE.
    Taken from here: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1220165,00.asp

AJ

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I am sick and tired of downloading all these updates for the ever growing threat of security holes.
    Would you prefer the alternative which is not to patch the software and leave it vulnerable to exploits? I'm not flaming you, I'm merely fascinated with your point of view.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Outlook Express was always the "poor relation"...a bit like Microsoft Works vs. Microsoft Office................reminds me of an old joke about Outlook Express and its patented VTP technology................

VTP = "virus transfer protocol"

Cheers

Banned
    Why not just use Yahoo! or something like that for your email purposes...?