Thread: scanning a port??? and soundcards

scanning a port??? and soundcards

Hello.. I know its kinda dumb question..but still I want to know the answer. I want to scan my port 135 , so that i came to know how many times i have been scanned for opening a shell on my account.

Secondly, I want to know are there any ways that we an operate two sound cards on the same machine(i want to use it for music purposes). I have physically screwed the sound card in my machine. But dont know how to use it.

Thirdly , I want to know are there any softwares that could help to know that how much browsing (including downloading and everything ) is done in MB's. I am asking this because here a local ISP (using DSL technology ) is introducing new tariffs which is calcluated on the basis of how much MB's you have browsed(kinda confused over here taht is ISP talking about my traffic from my PC that they will charge for or what) or downloaded.
    Any software meters for this kind of stuff would be a great help. I have already googled the issue but didnt find enoguh . but might be lookin g for right key word.
    Thank you
    looking for help
    Bye
    ommy

1) Use nmap to scan your ip address and if 135 is open it will tell you. Now if you want to see logs of who is scanning you sorry your wording is confusing. Then install a firewall and it will show you what ip address is scanning any port.
    2) Install the drivers for this soundcard. Now assuming you are using windows go to the control panel and sounds and audio devices and then go to audio select whatever sound device you want.
    3) go to http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/nsl.htm to download netstat live it is a pretty good monitor.

Hi Ommy,

I do not quite understand your first question..................do you want to scan your machine to see if ports are open..eg.135?.................or do you want to find out how many times you have been scanned on a port?

This makes me suspect that you are NOT using a firewall? omiGod!...and you are connecting to the internet?.................this is very, very dangerous. Please obtain and install a firewall immediately!!!...........a reasonable free one is Zone Alarm, from Zone Labs, but there are many others. The firewall logs should give you the information I think you require. There are also free port checking tools, that will scan your machine for open ports.

Second point: once again I am probably being obtuse (Stupid), but what do you want to use these cards. I have a machine with two sound cards that are connected by cables to the DVD and CD respectively, but one of these is not a real "card"...it is a sound chipset on the motherboard. Once again, I would need more details of what/why you are trying to achieve your objective.

Not sure what you mean by MB's....................give me a bit more detail and I can probably point you to the kind of software you want. The usage monitoring is an issue over here in Europe as well

Cheers

MBs = MegaBytes

Aaaaha!.......................he means "bandwidth"..................I know some tools but we need the system details to avoid totally confusing the poor guy.

Thanks gamer...........netstat is a good start......but there are others that show it in micro$$$$$$$$$$$$$ofts

We need more info I think?

Cheers

Good Intrusion detection software can tell u the open ports and scanning
    frequent nestat can tell u this, gui based netstat is available as a freeware in the net.

u can select the sound card in control panel, some mother board needs to be configured ( jumbers) to disable the inbuilt soundcard, read ur motherboard manual and if ur not sure ask a service personal to do it

for bandwidth and traffic monitoring there are lot of freewares available, DUMeter is a good one for ur use, i cant remember the website where i got it , try a google search on it

Well Nihil I wanted to know that how many times i have been scaned on port 135 by the worm.
    Secondly I want to use 2 sound cards for music purposes so that we can have two line in jacks that is in sound card.

Thirdly I want to monitor bandwidth, And it has been answered...
    I am using windows XP, a celeron 1.7 processor,512 mb ram,two creative sound cards wit h aall their drivers
    thank you guys
    ommy