Manhattan = NO POWER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manhattan = NO POWER

Manhattan = NO POWER

anyone know why all of manhattan has no power at the moment? Just got a call from a relative and they heard something about smoke on the east side... ANyway, no power, traffic lights or anything city wide. Any one know anything? I know it's not tech related, but still...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Quote CNN:

Power outages strike major U.S. and Canadian cities including New York, Detroit and Toronto. Thousands on streets. Details soon.
    Quote CNEWS:

TORONTO (CP) - TORONTO (CP) - A widespread power outage hit Ontario and the eastern United States at about 4:15 p.m. Thursday.

Blackouts were reported in Toronto, as well as Ottawa in the province's eastern region, Windsor in the west and North Bay in the northern part of Ontario. Parliament Hill had power knocked out leaving scant emergency lighting.

Hydro officials could not immediately be reached to explain the blackout.

A power outage also hit the New York City area Thursday, affecting certain areas from Long Island to Westchester County.

"We have no idea how extensive it is," said an Office for Emergency Management.
    Quote CNN:

Massive power outages in New York and other cities due to electrical overload, not terrorism, NY city mayor says.
    Cheers:
    DjM

From what I heard a transformer was overloaded and for some reason the other power grids didn't kick in to take over the job of supplying power
    Latest news http://www.cnn.com/US/

thanks for the quick replies putting my mind at ease somewhat. Feel sorry for those poor people stuck in the subway though.... they haven't got a clue as to what's happening probably.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Banned
    Yea... the media is over-hyping the event.. I'm suprised riots haven't broken out yet, although people are mobbing the streets wildly...

jag291

It affected New York, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto, Hartford

New York reported that the outage may have been triggered by an overload at the Niagara Mohawk power grid near Buffalo, N.Y.

Yea... the media is over-hyping the event.. I'm suprised riots haven't broken out yet, although people are mobbing the streets wildly...
    jaguar291

i have to agree with you there. I live in philly and a least twice in the summer we have power outages it's not uncommon.
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

just came on for me. but that was the second time today from 8 till around ten, at least where i was at the time, bergen couny nj. No riots, everybody was cool. getting out of the city was a mess but everyone took it in stride. glad i wasn't in an elevator arount the 80th floor when it happened
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hey Hey It's midnight friday aug 12th. and power just came on for me. We were out for about 8 hours. You really forget how much you rely on power til your without it for a little bit. I know in SSM, Ont, my mom still has no power and it'll be a bit yet.

Anyways to add my 2 cents on the issue, over the next little bit I am going to apologize to all Americans in advance, because the mayor of New York had to nerve to get on Live TV and blame Canada for the outage. This shows me how little respect American officials have for us and it hurts me. The outtage was started when an American Power Plant failed (reasons are still technically unconfirmed - fire, explosion, lightning, hell even blaster was mentioned) and Hydro One (Canada's Crown Corp.) got caught up from interlinking grids between the countries. The grid was knocked out because our power plants attempted to cover the loss. I'm very disappointed in America right now. Anyways now for sleep because work comes early.

G'nite ..
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    This almost reminds me of 1964 or was it 1965?

We still haven't learned.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    i had actually a good time today ....when the power went down we were sent home from work ... me and about 16 male and 3 female friend gathered on a parking lot about 300ft from my apartments and we bought 3 cases Heineken (7-11 was open all night ) and enyojed the night ...

anyone else has some stories to share ? .....opinions? whereabouts? terrorists ?