Thread: know of a good lil proxyserver???

know of a good lil proxyserver???

Hey, anyone know of a good lil proxy server software thats free? Doesnt have to be real big, just something to filter an internet connection through. Right now thats all i pretty much wanna do with my other computer is have its internet come through a server computer which would have the proxy setup on it instead of havin the two computers then having them go through a router. Anyone got some suggestions for a lil proxy that could? Oh yeh...a good suggestion would have the word free in it.

Well there is this one for Unix http://www.squid-cache.org/
    And this one for windows http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

Hope these helps you

You want the ultimate proxy utility?

Check out proxomitron.

Doh! You said server... this is client. Doh!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey thanks for the links guys...i tried the windows version u gave me deadaddict but just couldnt get the other machine to work through the proxy...dunno what was wrong. And that proxy didnt seem like it was that configurable...but thanks anyways i'm gonna keep playing with it and see what i can do. I'm downloadin the "ultimate proxy" right now phishphreek so thanks guys. By the way i like ur sig phish.

hey guys i got another proxy i wanted to try...WinGate. It sais i have Internet Connection Sharing goin on and i need to disable that....i checked all of MS's settings in the network panel and stuff like that and found nothing of it. Any idea how to disable that windows feature? i was thinkin just delete TCP/IP and my internet connection and my lan connection and start from scratch again and that should reset it but i wanted to check with u guys to see if there was a easier way to just turn that feature off. Attatched is a screenshot of the error.

http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documents/4/4079/

That should do it for you.

If not.. kill the service. That will def. do it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

IF you have win XP you can find how to disable ICS on this site XP ICS

Hopefully that does it for you.

I was going to suggest wingate beacuse of its ease of use. our admin type person is not all with it and he can even set it up. I do believe that they have a trial version but I dont know if it is freeware.
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.

Lightbulb good lil' proxy server

two products come to mind:

WinRoute > tinysoftware.com

Winproxy > Ositis.com

Depending on what you need either works just fine.

The other post about using ICS works OK as well. However the two above tend to be more granular as far as filtering public TCP and UDP ports. They provide added security and their support is realtively good last time I used them.

If you are looking to filter web content all together then I would download the ISA server from microsoft.com. There is a 30 day evaluation that will let you decide if you want it or not. Problem is that it cost$ lot$ of CA$H! If you poke around enough you may be able to find MS Proxy server 2.0 it is less expensive.

BTW - you should have two NICs in the PC that will act as the proxy otherwise it will become an excercise in futility.
    Douglas M.
    CCA, A+, CCNA, MCP

deftones... I'm surprised that you couldn't get analogX proxy to work... it's one of the easiest ones I've ever seen... admittedly I never got the SMTP/POP thing to work on it but surfing the net was an absolute doddle. true it's not the most advanced proxy server out there but...

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes