Cell phone Virus???

Thread: Cell phone Virus???

Cell phone Virus???

I was thinking here (a side effect of being bored) wondering if there are cell phone viruses?

Whats making me wonder is I'll set the time on my cell phone then an hour later it says its 3 a.m when its only 5 in the afternoon. I've checked all my settings, and time syncing stuff, but my time still get knocked off.

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of a virus for cell phones.
    =

don't know if it is possible... seems logical that one could be made... this link might interest you though

http://www.f-secure.com/hoaxes/cf_virus.shtml

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Banned
    A couple of years ago, one of the Nokia cellphones was 'exploitable': sending an SMS (short message service) of exactly 160 characters (the limit) to one of those cellphones would simply block that phone.

It should be stressed that it is technically impossible to write a virus for a 'normal' cellphone.
    The only services that can be 'exploited' are smartphone-services like i-mode.

I agree with Negative. A couple of years ago we looked at this (I was working in defence), and concluded that it was not possible to write a true virus in SMS as you are limited to 160 characters ( in practice this is usually around 114........or it was then).

There are such things as "SMS bombs".......this just zaps a particular phone, but does not represent a true security compromise. I guess that these are like logic bombs or nukes........they kill on impact, but do not replicate?

Cheers

Yup, i was going to refer to the SMS bombs too. All they do is "crash" a particular phone. indeed it is pretty impossible to truly write an SMS virus since it has a very limited amount of characters. Just a thought here: I dont see why it would not be possible to accidentaly download a virus using mMode or any of those services which use java applications. Also, IR could be a way of transmiting a virus to a phone, taking into consideration that the IR signal would have to come through a handheld PC or something. I could be very wrong here and I'd love to hear why what i mentioned cannot be done.

WHOOHOO MY 100th POST. LOL