Windows XP and Windows 2000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP and Windows 2000

Windows XP and Windows 2000

Hello all.

I have search google for hours looking for this information, and have had no joy what so ever so could someone please help.

I am looking for an indepth tutorial on windows XP and windows 2000 network, i want to set the windows 2000 computer up as a domain and then have 3 or 4 windows xp clients to be able to log in to the domain with different acces rights, home directories and romain profiles.

Thanks all

Dahquim
    What colour do smurfs go when they hold there breath???

Hi dahquim,

1.You should goto www.microsoft.com read articles on deploying Windows 2000. You'll find suffcient links there.
    2. If you have MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) then you see the Resource Kits included in it.
    2. Also you'll find the book "Windows 2000 Complete reference" quite useful

You can also check 'The World of Windows Networking' site
    http://www.wown.com/
    it has a lot of information on all Windows versions.

The Iceman Cometh
    You'll find pretty much anything you need in the Windows 2000 Step-by-Step Guides, found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...hs/default.asp

Also, there isn't much information about Windows XP clients per se, but they use the same networking technologies as Windows 2000 so if you follow the guides for Windows 2000 clients on the XP boxes, it should work fine.

AJ

I wrote a tutorial that might help you get started. It doesn't cover roaming profiles and home directories but that is realy the easy part. I am also starting a part 2 to this tutorial which explains how to secure your domain. Here is the first one if you are interested.
    -NeuTron

i have this two little problems! - i cant find out how i can open an own forum!? - and i cant manage to format my xp pro computer! i can get in to the bios and the thingie that looks like DOS! then i write "format c:\" (or)" format c:/" and none of them works!? can anyone help me? is there shomething like a boot disc in witch will delet the hard drive when you run it? pleece help me? just becouse i`m a wiking

i really just would like to format the disk so i can install linux becouse me and my friends need a server machine for our LAN- partyes. and i have dedicatet my machine! so i wanna delete the whole hard drive! what is the working format command?

what is the format command in xp? that is the only thing i would like to know!

You cannot Boot to C:\ and type Format C:\. Doesn't work: you have to Boot to A:\.

If you wish to install Linux....boot the Linux CD and do the install (if the CD is bootable)
    Or restart Windows; use Explorer to go the the CD and use the MakeDisk and image sets to create boot diskettes.

Thanks everyone, theres some great links there

Dahquim
    What colour do smurfs go when they hold there breath???