Email Help

Thread: Email Help

Email Help

HELP!!! Ok, here is the situation...My mom's email (Netscape Mail & Newsgroups) is gone...as in she got on this morning and there is nothing there. This is extremly frustrating for her, and since i dont know anything about that mailing system...i cant do a thing about it. Can anybody help me recover it???? Our OS is XP, before that we had ME (terrible...lol) When we upgraded it seems i didnt do it all right, as in i should have saved all the files that we wanted to keep and then cleared the hard drive or something like that. And now we are running into some problems...the only thing we have fun into so far...is my mom's email. This is not a recent thing...as in i updated to XP a while ago. SO if you can help taht would be wonderful!!!!

thx so much
    Once to every man and nation, Comes the moment to decide, In the strife of Truth with Falsehood, For the good or evil side. Then it is the brave man chooses
    While the coward stands aside. James Russell Lowell

well, the emails are not saved in your HD so the upgrading of windows is not the problem. Perhaps they are having problems in their end (NETSCAPE). send their tech support an email to see whats up.

Some email servers erase all mails an account has when it hasnt been used for long time, 1 month,3 month, or so... perhaphs that was

cybrid if the email client is on the local computer then emails are stored on the local HD... to be fair I'm not familiar with Netscape mail so I'm not sure if it acts differently than say outlook, eudora, pegasus etc.... but there should be some files on the HD that keeps track of all emails d/l off the mail server.

Kpaz I'm not entirely sure of your problem... are you saying that your moms email client had emails stored in it yesterday but that they aren't there today? If so it sounds like part of netscape has become corrupted.... Outlook on XP for example usually stores emails in a .pst file in

c:\Documents and Settings\userlogin\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

is there a similar folder/file for netscape that you can find?? If there is I'm betting that they will probably be here.... if there is back up the file and reinstall netscape mail client

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Try this....

Cybr1d: well, the emails are not saved in your HD
    Im going to have to disagree:

start>>search

Start by searching .dbx under "All Files and Folders"

Make sure to search in system files, as well as hidden ones. If you DO find a file with such an extension, import it to your e-mail program. I believe .dbx is the file containing all e-mails, but I might be wrong...

I can relate, I had the same problem. Good Luck!
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

hmm...so I guess the emails are stored in HD. Perhaps thats just a back-up of those emails, and the actual emails are stored in netscape's servers. Either way, thanx for the info, I learned something new

When Mum logged onto XP...did she use the Administrator account ? Or does she have her own ?

And I thought Netscape mail was '.mbx' for inbox (haven't used it for a while) and address book was .sc* or something.

Good luck

First...what do you mean by nothing is there? The program is not there? Or all of her saved messages and addresses are not there?
    Second...Netscape mail is obtaining the email from wherever it was directed when initially set up. If the program is gone then reinstall it and re-enter the info (usually the local isp email account login info) to get her back into her pop3 mail server.

For info on how to setup netscape mail check out the following link.

http://support.hubris.net/software/me/nsmail7.html

Good luck!

Ok...i can get on the program but her account is totaly gone..it is saying that she needs to creat a whole new account! As in..there is nothing there...sorry if didnt explain taht very well the first time i posted. I took the one suggestion and emailed tech support..they never replied! so scratch that! lol...so i'm totally lost and my mom is pretty mad. So any help would be great! i tried the .dbx....and i got inbox and the other things but i can seem to open them. i tried to use Netscape Communicator (as the recommended one to use) and it wont let me. first it wanted me to save the stupid things on disk and then i did that and now it is still not letting me open them. If you need more info on what it is saying just let me know and i'll put more up here for ya.

thx again!
    Once to every man and nation, Comes the moment to decide, In the strife of Truth with Falsehood, For the good or evil side. Then it is the brave man chooses
    While the coward stands aside. James Russell Lowell