Thread: Removing Win XP networking software from Win 98

Removing Win XP networking software from Win 98

My apologies if this is not the best forum for this issue but since it is not a security question the newbie section seemed the best fit.

I was trying to assist a friend with networking with an XP computer. They told me that they had Windows 98 SE when they actually had the first edition. I tried to install the XP networking components onto the 98 machine. I was asked to put the 98 disk into the computer. When trying to install the 98 files there were a lot that it could not find. I cancelled the installation. I am guessing that this is a compatibility issue with that OS. Now when the computer boots up it goes through a couple of error messages where it is trying to find the files that were not installed. I have included the important part of the messages below. I have tried to go into uninstall programs but there is nothing there for the networking components. How can I uninstall what little was installed to stop this error message?

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

The file is vserver.vxd

Banned
    If I'm not misunderstanding you, this should fix your problem:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/ps.../2172.psc.html

jag291

not sure about uninstalling, but to get rid of the error, just search through your registry (with the search feature) for that file name and remove it. If it's not in the registry, go to start, run, type sysedit. Check through your system.ini for any referance to the file and remove that. Be sure to backup before editing or modifying your registry or system files!!!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

jaguar291, thanks a lot that fixed it

Banned
    Glad to help..

jag291