Thread: Self port scanning

Question Self port scanning

Hi,i would like to know if there is a way to know the ports a program is trying to use,or is already using,in order to know which ports should i open.

Thanks

To know what ports are being used, use netstat on the command line (*nix shell or msdos window)
    The ports that a specific program will use are usually well documented in the documentation for the specific program. (readme, help, etc.)
    To scan yourself, get a scanning program and scan your ip from another box, or visit a web site that will do it for you. Both options have been discussed thoroughly on this site, so just search for them.

You dont need to be at another box to scan yourself. Just run any scannin program to scan your IP and it will show you. There's links to many websites that describe what each port gives access to in many of the posts in this site. Do a little search and u'll be able to get it in no time. If you want a really good program to do that for you go to: www.glocksoft.com/aatools.htm and download the trial version of Advanced Administrative Tools.

Tnx for your answers:

Thanks for the page of administrative tools its really good.

i know programs usually bring a list of the ports they require,but this is not done in Starcraft game.

I went to this game support and they told me no other port than 6112 tcp and udp oppened was needed.

I read somewhere 6112-6119 range would help,and it did.
    So what id like to try is to know which exactly ports does the program try to use,not already used ones,thoose ones doesnt mind me cause they are already oppened ^^
    I do just need to know which new ports the program tryes to use but cants because of routers block.

Thanks again, Antonio

You can use netstat, inspect your firewall logs, or other various tools.

Some other tools that I like that are similar to netstat (but map it to the program/process) are:

fport
    tcpview

fport is a simple program that goes a step further to report the programs. It is useful to me when using batch files.

tcpview is a gui based version that will show you in real time what programs are using which ports.

Most of the time, you can search google for which ports a program uses... or read the docs on the program.

Here is a list of well known ports and their services.
    http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/pr...ports00000.htm

Blackviper has gone through to explain all the services and etc that run on win2k and xp and he has writen examples of why you'd need them enabled.
    http://www.blackviper.com/

some other useful tools you might want to check out... that are not related to ports are:

filemon
    regmon

filemon will show you in real time GUI style which files are being accessed on your hard drive

regmon will show you in real time GUI style which registry keys are being accessed.

The programs above all are all free... so it is worth checking them out.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You dont need to be at another box to scan yourself. Just run any scannin program to scan your IP and it will show you
    True, but I seem to get different results sometimes doing this as opposed to scanning myself with another box on my lan or by using a location outside of my network. It also takes three times longer. Maybe it's just something I am doing, I don't know.

BTW, phishphreek, that sig is great.

hiya

all the methods phishphreek80 suggested are the ways that i would use, another pretty tedious way would be to have your firewall block all ports and then see which ports are trying to be used.

such as zone alarms, if you have all the ports blocked it then brings up a pop up says "such and such is asking for server rights"

this should be a fairly accurate way of finding the port number, although i suppose it depends on the firewall program

i2c