Thread: ASP vs PHP?

ASP vs PHP?

I want to dig it a little more..... Many clients or customers whatever demand their solutions in PHP (some of them without knowing much details of both technologies)... and they give three reasons for it:

* PHP is more faster than ASP
    * ASP hosting is more expensive than PHP
    * PHP database applications are more secure than ASP

Now can someone verify or rectify these three points?
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

As for PHP being faster than ASP, that COULD be true, but it's nothing at all noticeable.

ASP hosting is generally not more expensive than PHP, the company that hosts my webpage offers the same price to add PHP and/or ASP. (www.hostica.com)

PHP has a lot of built in functions for encrypting things, so it might be EASIER to keep things more secure... but ASP is fully capable of being just as secure.

hope this helps! in my own preference, I prefer PHP... just more like C++ and very very easy to pick up.

http://php.weblogs.com/php_asp_7_reasons
    I prefer PHP myself too, but I don't know why, I hate visual basic like languages, maybe that's why.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Re: ASP vs PHP?

Originally posted here by UrDaddy
    * PHP is more faster than ASP
    Possibly. There are a number of PHP accelerator products (free and non-free) which make PHP faster.

My guess is that with these, yes it is faster.

Don't know about without though.

Most web apps spend most of their time doing stuff with databases anyway
    * ASP hosting is more expensive than PHP
    This is obviously true, look at any ISP's price list. But it's not normally that big a difference.

* PHP database applications are more secure than ASP
    Database apps are exactly as secure as you make them.

There are a lot of common error which affect PHP, ASP, MS SQL, MS Access, but that doesn't mean that those technologies are insecure, just people aren't using them correctly.

Slarty

This was taken from the php web site

1. PHP vs. ASP?

ASP is not really a language in itself, it's an acronym for Active Server Pages, the actual language used to program ASP with is Visual Basic Script or JScript. The biggest drawback of ASP is that it's a proprietary system that is natively used only on Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS). This limits it's availability to Win32 based servers. There are a couple of projects in the works that allows ASP to run in other environments and webservers: InstantASP from Halcyon (commercial), Chili!Soft ASP from Chili!Soft (commercial). ASP is said to be a slower and more cumbersome language than PHP, less stable as well. Some of the pros of ASP is that since it primarily uses VBScript it's relatively easy to pick up the language if you're already know how to program in Visual Basic. ASP support is also enabled by default in the IIS server making it easy to get up and running. The components built in ASP are really limited, so if you need to use "advanced" features like interacting with FTP servers, you need to buy additional components.

Its also worth noting that there is an SunOne implementation of ASP for all you Solaris junkies. Although I think you have a screw loose if you're trying to develop ASP for Solaris.

asp link

a bud of mine wanted to learn asp and other languages found this link through one of the tech sites i'm a memeber of thought maybe someone else might want the help ....thought it may be of use to others http://www.learnasp.com/learnasp/

AO French Antique News Whore
    I personnally prefer PHP. It's run on all platform.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

PHP more simple than ASP...
    Lord Xavier,
    Cyberdelia Technologies,
    (Wholly owned by Cyberdelia Group).