Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniffers for windows....

Sniffers for windows....

Anyone know of any promiscuous sniffers available for windows. I know there are a bunch for *NIX but not for windows.

thanks

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I use ethereal for windows or windump. Be sure that you have WinPcap installed before you try to install these guys as it is a requirement for these sniffers.

You can get them from these places:
    Ethereal - http://www.ethereal.com/download.html
    Windump - http://windump.polito.it/
    WinPcap - http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm#Developer

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Part Timer
    You could also try eeye digital's Iris. It is free to try, fifteen days I believe. But depending on your abilities, and or laziness. This tool rebuilds anything captured. Cuts out the guess work.

Iris network sniffer

If you aren't interested in purchasing a program, then May I reinforce thehorse13's suggestions. They are very good suggestions you know.

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

I'm giving my full endorsement on ethereal... it's been my sniffer of choice for some time now... very good and very free

thehorse13,
    After you download everything for ethereal, how do I put it all together? I was wondering before I start downloading the different things like winPcap,and so on. I wouldn't mind having a good sniffer for my xp.
    Thanks, Freddy
    cybnut

WinPcap goes on first then you can install any of the aforementioned sniffers.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I did notice that ethereal says you need the 'developer's pack' too. Also, which winPcap should I get? There is one that installs itself-'WinPcap auto-installer (driver +DLLs) or just WinPcap?
    Freddy
    cybnut

just winpcap would be ok

This is what I got from the sit,"On Windows, you will need to install not only the regular WinPcap library, but also the "developer's pack", in order to compile Ethereal. As of Ethereal 0.9.5, you must install WinPcap 2.3 or later, and the corresponding version of the developer's pack, in order to be able to compile Ethereal; it will not compile with older versions of the developer's pack. (The installed version of the developer's pack should be the same version as the version of WinPcap you have installed.)" So then Your saying I don't need the develore's pack?
    Freddy
    cybnut

Download WinPcap 3.0 and install it.
    Download Ethereal 0.9.14 and install it.

You're done.