dcsimg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: problem with NmapWIN

nmap -sT -PT -PI -p 80 -O -T 3 www.yahoo.com

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap )
    Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0
    Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 54 seconds

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Doesn't XP have some firewall thingy? Could it be "blocking" responses??

I will agree with thehorse13 however in that nmapwin is a POS. It crashes and fails more often than not (based on my experiences with it). Best windows scanner I ever saw was Retina by eEye.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yeah it does but it is not on by default. I ran this test on XP pro with SP1 with FW off and it worked fine. How about hitting a different host? Try pinging it via command line first then try crappy Nmapwin.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I don't use nmap for windows because everywhere you read it states quite clearly that is sucks. I use it on Linux. My question is why would you even be trying to port scan yahoo? Only good I see about nmap is to scan your own network for open ports. You scan other networks and you start getting into grey areas.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    My guess is he is trying a site that he knows is up. Typically, I ping M$ or Yahoo to test network connectivity or to check on DNS issues. Perhaps he can confirm it or prove me a fool .
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

You can tell Fyodor or whoever created Nmapwin wasnt to confident in they're description on the insecure site. Wonder if the next release will be soon and much better. If trinity uses it...i'm all for it though.

hi,

I had the same problem, I went back to the insecure site and downlaoded the latest windows command line version http://download.insecure.org/nmap/di...3.30-win32.zip
    and placed that into the bin folder inside the name win directory, this update fixes a few versions including the speed problem.

Hope this helps

Stu

also, winpcap does not work over PPP interfaces, or not that I have been able to do

Anyone else been able to get it to work over PPP connections?

I have tried Nmap Win version many time over PPP connections and I have never been able to confirm if it was bugging or incredibly slow (even for very simple and normally quick tasks).

Simply delete this version and try its Linux version. I heard that some admins install Linux only for Nmap.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

i had vmware running with linux for a while when i was using dial up, but now i am using DSL i setup a server with the modem installed running a windows OS but it will not work
    Back to vmware i guess as I want to keep the current windows setup

thanks

Stu

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Best windows scanner I ever saw was Retina by eEye.
    Yup. I find eEye's Retina scanner unrivaled in OS detection, remote audits, port scans, etc. You can download a 15-day trial at their website.

If retina is too expensive, try LANguard. Almost as good, without the hefty price tag.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!