Thread: Hashing

Hashing

Alright so I have some text that is in format such as "MDEwMDEwMDEgMDExMDExMTAg0MDEx" I searched on the caps stuff for a while and thought it was a MD encryption but I later found out MD encryption doesn't look like that. Can anyone help me figure out how to classify encryption types? I've been looking for a good while on this and I'm lost Someone told me this was hashing not encryption though

I have no idea what it is... but the MD5 hash algorithm has an output of (IIRC) 16 bytes of binary data.

The 16 bytes of binary data are often presented as a 32-digit hex string. The above isn't one of those.

It would certainly seem highly unlikely for a hashing algorithm to output something which appeared so regular.

Maybe it's a very weak cipher or a form of encoding not intended for encryption.

Yeah I have no idea what this is. The entire thing is

"MDEwMDEwMDEgMDExMDExMTAgMDExMTAxMDAgMDExMDAxMDEgMDExMTAwMTAgMDEwMDAwMTEgMDExMDExMTEgMDExMDExMTAgMDExMDAxMTEgMDExMTAwMTAgMDExMDAwMDEgMDExMTAxMDAgMDExMTEwMTAg"

So it is fairly long. I just don't know how to decode it. I've even tried removing the MDA, MDE,MTA parts in it then checking to see if it was also in a Czar cryption but nope. I'm just lost.

An encrypted text would certainly not be so regular. Could you please provide us more informations about the nature of this text: Where have you found it? In what sort of file? What is its goal?....
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

hiya

I tried mucking about with a letter frequency based attack on this cipher, i have reason to believe that MDEx is possibly a space,

it makes up 35.8974% of the ciphertext, in normal english the most commonly used letter is "e" with only 12.95% of the average amount in a sentence/phase.

MDEx is more than usual so its maybe a space of something like that

this text probably isnt big enough to to a proper frequency attack on, so if you could supply us with maybe 3+ more samples then i could have a better crack at it.

i think MDEx maybe "e", and then the others tend to me a little random and theres a similarity in numbers of quite a few leading to there being many permutations of the un-ciphered text

id love to see more GENUINE examples and also would like to know where its from :-D

i2c

That IS the entire thing. It's just some text from a forum. It's part of some test and you have to decypher it to get an answer. I've been working on this one thing for weeks. That is the only current example I have. The only tip I got was something about hashing. I've been teaching myself about cryptography and this is still something I have never seen before. I know about 8 different forms of encryption and how to decypher them. I tried doing a brute force on it with John hoping that would reconize it but it was too large to do. It must be a string or a sentence.

It can be also something "epmty" with no meaning(if you not have software that made it)

It looks like that is some frase that repeating few times.....
    // too far away outside of limit

Too bad you don't have to software that produces this output. If you did, I would place breakpoints all over it to track down the cipher. Then I would "clean" the my output and run it through a asm2C source coder. Reverse engineer the logic and creat a small executable. rerun the with the above MDE text and see what is happening. I believe this is how crackers get beyond registration of software....let the program code decode in realtime and then patch. And microsoft wonders how people are beating the crap ou their false protections.

I know it's possible to write a message in a certain encoding that uses only 3 characters. What if an entire message written with those 3 characters got base64 encoded?

Just if someone from 2003 is still wondering about this I found out the message is base64 encoded. Once you decrypt it with for example https://www.base64decode.net/ you will be left with some binary code:
    01001001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01111010

This is just ASCII in binary so you can use a page like this one https://www.binaryhexconverter.com/b...text-converter to get the meaning of it. In this case the solution is InterCongratz.