Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously Annoying Popups

Seriously Annoying Popups

Hi there

I'm getting really hacked off with a popup ad that keeps appearing and messing with online gaming sessions. The offender (www.endads.com) sends a popup ad that appears when I've got my firewall running and also when I've got internet explorer closed.

It's probably me being naive, but I thought that popups would only appear if you have an explorer window open. I must be wrong because the ad is still appearing - can anyone recommend anything that I can do to get rid of this ?

Thanx guys

Dom

Thanks deadaddict, I'm dowloading it now. To help my own understanding, how do popups get through a firewall ? I mean a firewall is supposed to stop naughty data packets isn't it ?

The same way the server sends you the content of the page you are viewing a firewall only blocks traffic on specific ports.

you also can install google tool bar that has as a new feature: popups killer..
    One more time GO Google!!
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Another thing you may want to do is remove all spyware/adware.

adaware
    spybot search and destroy

Also, disable the messanger service in your services. (unless you really need it...)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    ...or simply use the Mozilla web browser which has popup blocking built in.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I agree that the popup may be something running locally on your machine, so phishphreek80'S advice is good. I use both those products myself and am happy with them.

To disable the messenger service you might like to look at :

http://grc.com/default.htm

Steve Gibson has a tool called "shoot the messenger" as I recall. The site is worth a visit anyway, as there are a variety of tools and some intertesting articles.

Cheers,

domtheboy....to answer your question 'how do popups get through the firewall'.
    They are using HTTP protocol port 80. This is allowed through your firewall.

Downloading pop-up killers is an excellent idea. But you must have some software 'installed' that is retrieving them. Such as 'Hotbar' 'Gator' or ?.

Go through your Add/Remove programs and see what is there.

Hi all

Thanks very much for your replies - after posting last time I realised I hadn't mentioned something important that I think Nihil has kinda touched on.

The popup messages I have been receiving have been from two companies that are advertising anti pop up software (somewhat ironic I know). I visited one of their websites and it was, of course, a lengthy advert for their software. However, I was able to glean some info as their site said their software would "block Messenger popups sent via the built in Windows Messenging Service".

So from the look of things I need to get rid of messenger software. I'm gonna check out the site that Nihil has so kindly provided the link for, but I'm now just a bit teed off that using the messenger service means leaving a gaping security hole that spammers can exploit. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Anyway, thanks for the help people, + antipoints all round !