Thread: XP / CDRW 'glitch' ?

XP / CDRW 'glitch' ?

Here's something I just noticed and thought if anyone is having a similar 'problem'....this might be your answer too.

XP - Restart Shuts down the computer. (does not Restart)
    when a CDRW is in the drive.

I removed my CDRW and voila.....it restarts properly.

Tested it with Sony, Lite-On, Lg CDRw's. They all react the same.

The Iceman Cometh
    It sounds like a driver problem or a problem with the CD burning software you have. Uninstall any CD software you have and install the CD-RW. If it still does that, go into Safe Mode and update the driver (via the Device Manager) with a more recent driver. Then boot regularly and you should be set.

AJ

I assume it must be related with your cd drive or a program using you cd drive because I have never heard of such a bug about XP and because I haven't this one on my XP installation.

Do you have any software loaded in memory checking or using your cd drive? I would fistly search something like this.

edit: Even if I don't like to reinstall everyhting so far, I must admit that Avdven advice is good.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I should have stated that I had updated 'XP', 'Drivers', 'Software' BEFORE posting the message. None of the updates corrected the problem.

DO you have Roxio/Adaptec AND Nero CD/RW software installed?

A PSU Fault Could cause this symptom... (but only if the system was at PSU max all the time.. and the CDRW drive spinning up is the straw, for the camels back).. if there are no other symptoms..
    check the IDE cable for nicks or crushes or daggy IDC plug job's or daggy cable cut..

Or have you just rubbed a black cat the wrong way..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

NOPE....learned not to have 2 CDRW progs running at the same time (long time ago)
    IDE cables are good (changed them just in case)

Black cat ? Damn !! Now that you mention it, I did stroke a little pussy the other day.

Microsoft has an update that addresses issues with burning disks using it's native CD writing process.
    Have you gotten the update yet?