Thread: Just got my power back on...

Just got my power back on...

I work in Manhattan and live in Queens borough. You should've seen the mob scene yesterday. Holy ****?! I felt like I was in a SCI-FI movie walking accross the bridge. The Time Square was packed ppl sleeping on the streets because they didnt' want to stay in the hotels. I had to walk for 6 hours yesterday just to get home. Got home at 12:30 @ night. You think 9-11 was bad. I will never forget this as long as I live.
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

because they didnt' want to stay in the hotels.
    If that's the case, then the reporters down south got it wrong. We heard that people *couldn't* stay in the hotels because the doors to the rooms require electricity to work. Thanks for your post though....it's cool to hear from someone who was actually there.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You know what has surprised me about this is that companies are expecting employees to still go to work. A friend who is a network admin at a pharmacutical company here in Toronto was required to go to work. It took him 6 hours to get home yesterday and now he's expected to go back -- so he can provide support to the US section of the firm.

Meanwhile, the Ontario gov't is saying that non-essential workers should stay home to help conserve.

Goofiness. =P
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

it's funny that you mentioned the job because i also quit this morning. my boss is a bitch and i've been slaving to cover her ass for a long time (2 years) this blackout was the last strew. she accually called me to go to work. like i should walk or buy a car... cya .. i hung up the phone on her i feel like a new man
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

It took him 6 hours to get home yesterday and now he's expected to go back
    That's ludicrous. How they expect the guy to reach back to work. IMO I think everyone should stay home until the power is restored and tested. In that way they will be sure that this doesn't repeat itself for a third time.

We heard that people *couldn't* stay in the hotels because the doors to the rooms require electricity to work.
    According to what I heard keezel it was both the case of inaccessible doors and that people didn't want to spend to stay in the hotels. I guess in hard economic times if you didn't plan for that you might as well just sleep by the street.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

the problem was that a lot of ppl didnt' know what the hell was going on... many including me thought that somone compromised Indian Point Nucrlear Power Plant .. i had thougts of 2nd chernobyl in my head so just think ... if you don't know what the hell's going on do you wanna stay in a strange hotel in a dark...

hi
    u know that in NIGERIA its always like that.
    i was there for a couple of months and boy was it bad,
    the power would only running for ,say,, 10 minutes per hour.
    so u americans shouldn't complain too much ;(, cause its a lot worse in Africa.
    cheers
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

Wow. You said you THOUGHT 9-11 was bad??? dude all we did was lose power, not die. Dont even compare this to the plane crashings. Yes it was hot as hell and the central air in my house wasnt working, yes I wanted to use my computers and couldnt because my UPS died in 3 minutes (doh!!) Im charging it up now. Yes, 87 degrees here in Michigan with 90 % humidity, and not even a fan.

I was dying, I do NOT like summer. My cousin has Unreal 2003 and his Dad has a generator so we went there eventually. I brought my anxiety meds because I wasnt to sure if after seeing all those things working Id be ok or not. Oh yea, I did trip on my porch when I tried to smoke at 1 AM the first night, laugh all you want, hell people I told did.

Wasnt like I could actually tell where on the Porch I was, except from the moon light. The second day of this, after 30 hours of no power, My town still had NONE, towns all around us did, 5 blocks away in the next city over, they did, hell they only lost it for 7 hours, but mine was out still. I didnt have to work because they closed down, even thoughwe opened yesterday and I worked till 2 this morning.

My house got power yesterday. I spent the night at my cousins house and got maybe 7 hours sleep in two days. I went to get Cigars and **** like the second day before we had gone anywhere. I made the lady in the head shop/ Cigar/Ciggarrette import store laugh because I guess she liked how I said theres nothing to do but smoke and read as I was buying like 20 cigars.

I got a kick ass import cheap because I guess they like me. I got a coupe sweet Cigars...Actually 10, then 2 small ones that were awesome, and a hand made one from Nicaragua that has Golden foil around it, (think the ones Scarface smoked) Anyway, Im glad we have power back.

VERY glad. People were celebrating at like 11 PM on Friday, Screaming Thank God in the streets by my aunt's house, I was thinking the same thing when we got power the next day, My area was one of the last. We did lose things in the freezer, but its fine. I live by the river that separates my town from canada, and people were pulling off the side of the road because the smoke stacks were shooting flame and black smoke, at this time people all said "its terrorism".

Me I said I bet we overloaded the system with 5 Air conditioners and 3 computers per house being not as rare now. They looked at me like I was stupid, which was fine because I was looking at them the same way...Guess who was right? My aunt, kept dialing her cell phone and saying "damn it, why does this work?" Me standing there saying "Ok for the 12th time, ****ing listen to me, the cell phone cant cary a signal without the towers, which need ****ing power."

She said to this: "oh". *slapped forhead as she grabbed it again and tried dialing again*. Anyway, I'm just glad it's over for my town, and most others.