Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EMERGENCY?: Windows Xp attacking Windows 2000 Server?

I have lost firewalls in the past and any old box with Linux on it works great in a pinch. Especially considering the fact that my paranoid decision is to sever the network and taking some heat versus not having a firewall IN LINE with the internal network.

I hope you have also isolated the internal network THROUGH your server, for example you have 2 NIC cards and the internal network is on one and the internet is on the other. If not; your just opened up all the clients.

Windows XP is constantly saying to the world something like "Hi everyone I am Windows XP, here I am and this is what I have to offer. Will you be my friend?" In Windows networking terms, it's always anouncing it's services and asking who is on the network, what they have to offer, who they are and how to get the info.

Peace()

West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Old Fart
    After scanning thru this thread rather quickly, I noticed that no one had mentioned the fact that WinXP has a nasty "habit" of connecting and reporting to Microsoft, which *might* account for some of these "unexplained" connections.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I would like to thank all of you for your help. Thanks alot.

The fix to the problem was as suggested before. It was the WEBDAV Service, which I shutdown by going to Services (in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools) and just turned off the WebClient service.

Again Many Thanks.