C++ or VC++
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C++ or VC++

C++ or VC++

Are there differences between C++ and VC++?

If there are then what are they and which one is better?

Just Another Geek
    For starters one is more visual oriented then the other . VC++ is more or less drag 'n drop to create your interface and most of the tedius work is done by the compiler. If you want to create a 'visual' program (with windows, menus etc.) in C++ you'll have to do everything by hand. It does however give you a greater control and maybe a bit more understanding of how it works.

Well, which one is better? I dunno. It all depends on your expertise and what you want to do with it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

if VC++ is easier to use then why would people still use C++?

Hi spree, you are getting things wrong here note the following

1. C++ is a general language drafted by ANSI-ISO to learn follow "C++ programming language" by Bjarne Stroutstrup.

2. VC++ is language provided by Microsoft for windows development it is based on C++.

>>if VC++ is easier to use then why would people still use C++?

I use C++ to create all my Win32 GUI Applications mainly because of the reason stated by SirDice It gives me much greater understanding how it works and much more controll. Yes indeed more tedious. Also I prefer this method since I can take steps to reduce the final executable size to much smaller then executables produced with VC++.

I actualy use a combination of C and C++ for my GUI apps. The Win32 API itself is realy a set of DLL librarys that makeup all the API functions of windows.

well why are u planning to go for only one....go for both....
    VC++ help when it comes to win apps..........
    C++ in general...everywhere..........
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Also, programming using VC++ requires you to have Visual Studio installed, which you either have to buy or copy. You can start programming in C++ by downloading a free compiler (I use Borland) and firing up your favorite text editor

hopefully you wont copy Visual Studio, because that is piracy, but coming back to the question, why do people use C++ and not VC++? Just like what warlock said, C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is the same thing as C++, but it is easier to create applications with text boxes, buttons, and other fun stuff. Personally, i would learn C# instead of C++
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Ninja Code Monkey
    c++ is a language. Visual c++ is a development environment that you work with to code c++. It does include microsoft specific goodies and pre-built code to make things faster, but in the end you are still working with c++.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

OK, maybe I should ask this question. What is the difference between c++ and c#?
    Freddy
    cybnut