New Internet Worm Tries to Patch Windows Hole
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Internet Worm Tries to Patch Windows Hole

Banned

New Internet Worm Tries to Patch Windows Hole

A new computer worm is spreading worldwide through a security hole in Windows -- also used by last week's Blaster worm -- but then patching the hole instead of crashing the system like Blaster does, security experts said on Monday.
    http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=3297238

Another article on the same issue.

http://www.computerworld.com/securit...?from=imuheads

It supposedly scans for systems with the RPC vulnerability and patches it with the MS patch. If it doesnt find the vulnerability the it deletes itself after some time.

Although I personally wouldn't usually say that anything that messes with someone's computer without their concent is "good" in any way shape or form, I've gotta say that I see little harm in this.

I mean, yeah, most tech-savvy people out there patched up their systems and were ready for this. But there's a lot of people that either didn't know about it or didn't know how to handle it or whatever. If Blaster got into their systems they'd either be stuck with computers that suck, or wind up paying some tech money to come and perform the obcenely simple fix. If this Nachi will take care of that problem, then it saves the tech time, the customer money, and helps put an end to Blaster and all the variants that have, and will inevitably, pop up.

I can't say I approve, but I would like to shake the hand of whoever made it for their sheer ingenuity in turning the virus against itself.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

DOH, Crap, Oh No, I'm going to get arrested arent I. Doh Doh Doh

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=my+dcom

god....I love it!
    I'm assuming that it's still considered a bad thing....but I don't see how anybody could consider that a case of 'malicous code' since it's not doing anything bad.
    I say more power to em.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

No but when I run my code here it ate 100mb bandwidth for 20 minutes just patching 250 pcs.

Crap, if it slipped out its gonna slow the internet to a halt.

DOH, Crap, Oh No, I'm going to get arrested arent I. Doh Doh Doh

I was about to say didnt one of the members here write a similar program for use on their network? Is this yours mang?

way to go mark!!! the first thing i thought of when i read the CNN report was waht you had said.

here's another link
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/19/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

NOT GUILTY.

NO COMMENT.

I DIDN'T DO IT NOBODY SAW ME DO IT YOU CANT PROVE ANYTHING.

I HAD BUTTERFLIES ALL DAY UNTIL I MANAGED TO UNPATCH A PC AND CATCH THIS NEW VIRUS. ITS NOT MINE AND ITS NOT A RELATION

HONEST

Told you so

"The worm is creating more network traffic, and thus a slowdown, for many corporations as it checks for other vulnerable computers to spread to and because it instructs numerous computers in a network to try to download the patch simultaneously, they said. "