Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: virus infection???

Banned
    Is the machine updated with all the latest patches and etc.. ?

all of the latest patches have been applied, with exception of Win2k SP4.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Banned
    Well I'm out of ideas... if your computers meet these requirements, then I recommend you get the phone and dial you-know-where...

Requirements:

Windows

* Windows 98/98 SE/Me; Windows NT 4.0 Workstation/Server/Terminal Server Edition with Service Pack 6a; Windows 2000 Professional/Server/ Advanced Server; Windows XP Home/Professional
    * 32 MB RAM minimum (64 MB or higher recommended)
    * 45 MB disk space (80 MB during installation)
    * Intel Pentium processor (Pentium II or higher recommended)

Terminal Server clients connecting to a computer with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition antivirus protection have the following additional requirements:

* Microsoft Terminal Server RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client
    * Citrix Metaframe (ICA) client 1.8 or later
    From: http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/softwa...ex.html#System

jag291

Event log errors?

Is there anything in the Event Viewer logs that relates to the failed install of these apps? You could post what the logs say.

It seems you've already ruled out 'viral' activity, but I'd try one more thing before I ruled that out completely. Go download Stinger from Network Associates, here's the link: http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp#stinger

The reason I give you this is I've had to work with a few boxes that were infected with a virus (BugBear or Klez, can't remember for sure) that would not let any AV package run - it would appear to start up, then just stop with no error, no explanation, not anything. I used the Stinger tool to take care of the problem. It might be a longshot, but it's certainly something I'd try just for kicks..
    - Maverick

That's a good thought Maverick!...................surprises me that an online scan could run, or would fail to detect those old viruses?

I have nothing more than a hunch here, but might there be a problem with updating the Registry. I would guess that both the AV and Backup software would make several entries, and want a restart...............Acrobat Reader is not quite so demanding?

I would be inclined to try loading a trial of some other AV product, to try to narrow it down a bit.................If "stinger" does not find anything, and the other AV doesn't load, then I would say "Registry"

If the other AV loads, then I would say "Symantec"

Cheers

Ok How about Yaha or one of its varients or relitives?

This family of virii will block your ability to install most brands of AV Software.. besides disabling the existing AV prog..

Give stinger a go.. it has saved my butt on a few occasions..
    As for On-line Scanns.... mmmm have had little luck here.. some time you need everything in your favor to do any good.

Just some thoughts..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Regal Making Handler
    I maybe out of my depth here but a mate of mine has had probs with anti virus stuff on a 2000 advanvced server machine. I think your prob is the configuration of your box and not the software its self.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Another thought.. What software have you got installed.. or the setting of your Paging/Swap File?
    Some background software will give problems with the installation of some software..
    As also having the pageing/swap file set to custom and set way too small.. this will cause "errors" and the install to bomb out..
    Heck even a corrupted registry from a previous install that went wrong or a uninstall that was not carried out correctly..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I tried the stinger app (btw-nice little app, thanks maverick), but still found nothing. I downloaded pc-cillin 2003 and tried to install that and I believe that I have found the root of my problems??? I *think* that the Windows Installer is causing my problems as I was unable to install the pc-cillin app which actually gave me a Windows Installer error message, unlike the Symantec AV. I guess my *assumption* that any apps installed to Windows uses the Windows Installer is incorrect, as I have been able to install acrobat reader, numerous M$ patches and ad-aware successfully.

So, I'm going to try to re-install Windows Installer and see where that leaves me.

I appreaciate all the help and suggestions!
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....