Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: virus infection???

virus infection???

Hey all,

I am having some weird, virus like, issues with a clients server. First off, this is a Win2k server and I have full admin rights to the box. When I try to install either Symantec Corporate Edition A/V 8.0 or Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 agents, the installation process dies shortly after it begins. I do not think that the installation process is even reaching the point of actually installing the software. I tried sharing out all the drives, then from another machine, scanned the shared drives, but I found nothing. I believe this to be "virus like" activity, but am not sure as how to handle it from here?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

btw-I inherited this box from a previous admin and noticed that there was no A/V or Backup software installed (hmm...i wonder why that admin is no longer here?).
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Banned
    How about doing an online virus scan and seeing if anything comes up... http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

From there we can work out more steps...

I tried the online virus scanning and it also found nothing? Any other suggestions?

Banned
    Okay.. no virii, tell me more about what happens.. the installation starts, and then what.. how far in does it get?

And I'm taking a wild stab in the dark: http://service1.symantec.com/support...648?Open&src=w

Try that...

[edit]
    Do you get an error message or something along that line?

Well....I see the auto-run open the A/V installer and I tell it to install the client locally. It then appears to be scanning the system for compatibility, then it simply quits. There is no error message at all not even in the event logs, making this quite frustrating.

I am taking a look at the link you posted now.

Is it just Norton and Veritas? or have you managed to install anything on this box?

cheers

So far it has only been the A/V and Backup software that have given me issues. I have been able to install updates from M$ and acrobat reader.

Hi,

Hope this doesn't get duplicated..........just had a little glitch.

Can you try to install something NEW, rather than an update.................it may give us a clue as to the problem?

Cheers

I have had LOADS of trouble with Symantec Corporate Edition 8.0 and deploying it out to clients using the deploy tool on the cd. It will show that it deployed to my 2000 client but has done nothing to the client. I usually end up going to the box and actually putting the cd in the drive and installing it from there. They have lots of problems with their product. (even though they will not admit it) The best reasource that I have found is to call their tech support (if you have a maintainence contract with them) and talk with them. After an hour or so on the phone with them I fixed 95% of my problems. Just make sure they stay on the phone with you when you are doing something because they like to just point you to a knowledge base article or two and then get you off the phone with them.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

since I first encountered this issue, I was able to successfully install acrobat reader, but not the A/V or Backup software?