Question from a newb about XP flaw?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question from a newb about XP flaw?

Question from a newb about XP flaw?

Hey,

I've noticed that if you restart a box running XP into safe mode you can log into the administrator account and basically do whatever you want. Is there anyway to prevent this.

Banned
    Well this is a hard question but you can do this: http://legalminds.lp.findlaw.com/lis.../msg00032.html or http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20289001.html

Those methods should work because you have XP which based of 2000 and so on.. try that and get back to me..

jag291

You can always log on as Administrator, unless they have renamed that account. Even if they use the GUI logon screen with the funky little pictures, just hit CTRL - ALT - DEL twice to get the usual logon prompt. Then you can type in Administrator and the password to logon.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I'm by no means a security guru, but have you changed the administrator account password yourself? I think I read somewhere that the default password for the admin account on Windows XP was there is no password, it's blank.

So if I were you I would open up control panel, go to User administration or accounts (or whatever it's called).

It may even be worth it to disable the administrator account, since attackers like to check default account names, and then set up an account with a different name that has administrative privaleges.

If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone can help you out because having your admin account wide open is a bad idea

Your right VicC, there is no password as a default but the user accounts doesn't have Adminstartion as a user.

Old Fart
    All good suggestions, to be sure. Perhaps you might consider RENAMING the administrator account, therefore making it much more difficult for outsiders to gain access to your box. After all, the admin account is what most script kiddies are going to be looking for in the first place, and naturally "administrator" is the first thing they are going to try.

Hope this helped!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks Jaguar291 for the method of "pausing" safe mode, but is there an alternative. I don't feel comfortable picking at my OS intestines.

Good suggestion allenb1963, but wouldn't the intruder notice a strange new account they didn't see before, I don't know I guess it would work but it just sounds so.... simple.
    Thanks for the suggestion

Yes...there is
    you can Password protect the Admin account....like any other..
    Administrative tools-> Computer management

Find the admin account under the user list....password it...or rename it...do not delete it...you can't re-make that account..and it's the most powerfull account a user is allowed to have...
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    Noia ....back again ? you haven't been posting since 07-09-2003 02:37 PM what happened ..where were you ...just to let you know you have been missed ....

Banned
    Since I've never tried disabling Safe Mode, I'm making a guess here: can't you just change the boot.ini file so that when its supposed to boot Safe Mode it boots normally?

jag291