Thread: Moving from Win to Nix

Regal Making Handler

Moving from Win to Nix

Hi all,
    I would like to try Linux in some flavour. I am using a Dell Insperon 2650 could some one give me some advice as to which version to go for and what problems i might inccure
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    *Moved from AntiOnline: How do I?*

Distrowatch.com has an overview of a lot of Linux-distributions. It also offers a beginner's guide to choosing a Linux distro

Linuxiso.org is another extended source.

What about knoppix? That way you don't even have to install it, just burn the ISO to a disk and see how you like it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I'm a Redhat fan - using it on, amongst other places, Dell Inspiron 4000 without any problems at all.

Load one up, see what works, google for what doesn't & if you're still having bother come back & ask here.

It's not as difficult as you think it is.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Regal Making Handler
    Thanks all,
    I've had a look at some of the iso's. But i only have a dialup and havent got the patience to download a copy. So i was looking to by one from pc world or such. I was not so much worried about installing . More, what problems i might encounter getting on the net.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

One thing you could do is go into a bookstore, and go back where the magazines are. Try to find a magazine about Linux Usually these magazines will have a disk with them, with some type of *nix. I was able to get Mandrake 9.1, slackware, and Red Hat from the magazines. Or you can go to a computer store and buy a boxed version.

I don't think you should have a lot of probelms getting on the net. You just have to make sure tha it sees your modem then you have to create you connection and activate it. Linux uses a GUI interface so it will be kinda similiar to Windows, but nothing is going to be named the same.

I have begun switching to linux a little bit, but still keep a windows machine. So far my personal favorite is Red hat.

Good luck.
    =

What about dual booting? I'm currently using a Win98 + WinXP dualboot and I'm planning on switching to XP + RedHat 9. What bootmanager should I use? And should I install XP first or RH?

Thx in advance...

Kr0lden install XP first and everything should work like a charm. The LILO boot loader with RedHat is awesome and will take charge.

Good luck.

Guidance..
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Thanks

you could always try mandrake 9.1, there are wizards to set most things up like what windows has, the only problem is that the installation program can sometimes not work very well and you may be forced to use a text install which is no big drama

just press F1 when you boot from the cd and you're on your way, ive found that a good way to get hold of linux distro's is on Ebay, i got redhat 8 on there for $15AU which was 4 cd's with free postage, also you could check out if there are any LUG's (linux user groups) near where you live, theyre a great source of information on what distro's to try and how to get them set up, sometimes they have 'installfests' where you bring your PC and they help you install or install the o/s for you