Webserver question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webserver question

Webserver question

I have a DSL internet connection behind a router an I want to set up a public webserver. On port 80 is my router setup but it should be my webservers homepage. Is ther anyone who can help me with this?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You need to forward the port, (80), to the host computer behind the router and set up the web page there. Your router cannot host the page itself merely direct the appropriate traffic to the machine that does.

You also need to consider DNS. Unless you are going to have clients type http://123.123.123.123/index.htm or whatever then you need to have a host that holds the dns records from the domain. If you don't have a domain you need to get one of those too.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Also, you may want to ask for a static IP address as your DSL modem no doubt uses DHCP to get a public address from your ISP. Your other alternative if you don't want to fork over cash for a static IP is to use dynamic DNS.

For more info on what dynamic DNS is, take a peek at this site:
    http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/

--TH13

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

PS. If you are able to access the router's HTTP/telnet configuration daemon from outside your LAN, I reccomend you disable it IMMEADIATELY.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

You also might want to consider you ISP's terms of service and whether they will allow you to host a server on their service. I know that Pacbell/SBC Yahoo DSL in our area will only allow you to host websites if you purchase their business account. Cox Cable in our area, (which I use at home) does not allow you to host anything at all and if you try they will kick you off their service.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

DSL providers usually block port 80, so you can't have a webserver running on that port. you have two option, either get a port forwarder, or you can run the webserver on another port, like 1080 or 8080. it's a shame that DSL ISPs are doing this, somebody should put and end to it! heh
    jhack

Banned
    DSL providers usually block port 80
    Not True

My friend has a webserver set up on his comp and he is behind a linksys router.

I would download xitami or abyss webserver from http://www.webattack.com.

1.First go into your router through your browser.
    2.Make your ip address static you cant do it with a dynamic believe me ive tried.
    3.Make yourself visible to the outside by making a DMZ and putting your ip address in there.
    4.Check you outside ip by typing in ip check at google and press im feeling lucky.
    5.That ip address is the address to your website.
    6.Your can also get a domain name for free at www.cjb.net

jh4ck3r and mikem0327:

First of all.. DSL does NOT usually block port 80.

Anyways... it is poor netiquette to post to a thread where the date is flashing. The flashing date means the post is rather old. Check out some of the FAQs (Ultimate Newbie FAQ and such) for more information.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Verizon DOES block port 80, and in my area, they are the only DSL provider. I don't know how many different DSL providers you have in your area. Also, it is against ANY isp's user policy to run a webserver, cable or dsl. I'm not really sure where you are getting your information from, but if yo uread the user policy on any ISP's site, it will tell you that you cannot run a server. Maybe in the future, you should research a little bit more.
    jhack

that maybe true in your area but i know for a fact its not the same over here. I was speaking to my DSL providers tech support today about an unrelated matter and i mentioned it to them and they said that it was fine to run any sort of server off the home connections and the only port they block is 135.
    they might have some objections to a very popular site using a lot of bandwidth but apart form that theirs no problem.
    anyway thats just my 2 cents
    mark