Slammer worm and power plants

Thread: Slammer worm and power plants

Exclamation Slammer worm and power plants

Hey all,

The Register has just released an article with regards to a nuclear power plant in the US being affected by the Slammer worm last year:

Slammer worm crashed Ohio nuke plant net

Yes, this is the same plant that is being investigated as the possible cause of last week's blackout.

The scary bit is that companies like these have Internet connections into their corporate networks which actually monitor and control dangerous infrastructure. If a virus can get in this way, why not a hacker (since the line into the power plant was bypassing the firewall).

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

That's kind of interesting. After a previous attack you would think they would do something about this.

The scary bit is that companies like these have Internet connections into their corporate networks which actually monitor and control dangerous infrastructure.
    That's kind of a bad idea for a power plant don't you think? Why would they even want to have such an implementation? That's kind of strange. Well I guess they have their reasons, even if I think they could go about a different way.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Note, same company that caused the blackouts, not same plant, thank you deregulation for letting these morons run a power company. This plan is shut down because there is a hugh hole in the reactor. Why the hell do they have a net connection at the plant..that is the dummest thing I have ever heard of. Hey corps in sensative feilds, you do not have to be pluged in to the internet, in fact it would save you a hell of a lot of money and greif if you wern't.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Wow,
    I drive by one of those going to San Diago 6x a week. I wonder if they are set up the same way? With Gumbi in office, there's no telling.

Freddy
    cybnut

Senior since the 3 dot era
    At least the US is far enough, so the nuclear fall out will not cause a lot of damage to the 'old continent', where nuclear power plants still do not have an internet connection and electricity works... That article is freaky, if this is true, better let the state control the nergy market in stead of some (incompetent) private companies?

Unfortunitly the stae is incompatint also, the best bet is how it ran in the 70's and 80's with the incompatint and greedy busniess running things and the state doing the only thing they are good at, regulating them and makeing sure they don't cut too many corners.

Luckly the way plants are built in the us, the worst that cn happen is a power outage, even in a melt down we "shouldn't" have a chernobal style melt down.

On the other hand a friend fatehr was a nuclear safty inspector for the midwest, after ten years he quit his job, moved as far away from all reactors as he could and set up a wind farm (windmills to generate electricity that he then sells to power companies). Some times I think I should ask him why he quit(and where he got the money to get teh windmills), but considering my proximity to three plants I allways figured I would stay blissfully ignorant.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by bballad
    Why the hell do they have a net connection at the plant..that is the dummest thing I have ever heard of.
    Cause the CEO wanted to view the nice status diagram they have on the boards in the Op room from home - So he can enjoy a real sense of power when he's performing his bedroom athletics.

He said "jump" and the techies who wanted to keep their jobs said "how high"

That's how most stupidity starts!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com