Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD 2100 getting too hot.

AMD 2100 getting too hot.

I am having some trouble with one of my pcs. Its a AMD 2100 and it is not overclocked but its running at about 65-68 degrees celcius. It was running much cooler a while ago, and when I put any kind of load on it, it freezes up and I have to shut it down to cool off. I dont want to fry the processor, so do you recommend that I get a new processor fan? What do you guys (and gals) think could be wrong? I have a Thermaltake M.I.T fan (that came with the computer) on it right now. It just started in the last weeks to get this hot.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I suggest getting another fan, if the existing fan fails to cool it properly. Did you add a videocard or 7200 rpm HDD lately? Those are also heat generators.

Is your fan spinning? Does it makes a weird noise? Is there dust blocking air vents?
    While I did computerrepair, I saw portable's with sandwiches inside. Desktops with sand in them. Desktops with coffee and sucker inside... just to say look inside what's happening. Look to your heatsink, is it still attached properly, does it make proper contact with your cpu?

VictorKaum: The inside is a little dusty, but nothing is really bad looking. The fan is spinning. No weird noise, no dust blocking the vents. I havent touched the system since I got it 6 months ago. I have not taken off the heatsink or fan, but it feels solidly attached to the processor. I might try to reseat it to see if that changes anything.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Strange, do you have some cpu fan indicator proggy that monitors your fan speed?

I have not checked in the bios for the fan speed yet. I will try that in a sec.

Well the motherboard says that the CPU fan is spinning at 0 RPM. I can see that the fan power is attached to the motherboard. I watched the fan startup and its starting pretty slow. I will probably just end up replacing the fan. It looks like that might be the problem.

Hi CXG....I do not have a 2100 myself. I have two 1900's and one each of 2200 and 2400. OK I have a 3000 an 3200, but have not built these last two yet I find that I can run a 1900 at around 42 Celcius and the 2400 at around 46...................OK I have overclocked things in my time, but your temperatures seem way too high to me?...I guess you are not overclocking? (please ask, if you do not understand what mean by this term..not what it says in the
    books )_

I love AMD processors, but to give Intel their credit (and about $250 extra), they do tend to handle temperatures better?

Did you use the fan that came with the AMD?...........I bin them and get some good stuff...I am over here, and you there , so names may not mean much?..tell me what you guys have available? I tend to use "Cooler Master".

The white thermal "gunk" that comes with the pack, is pretty useless...You need to use silver based thermal compound ( better on the way...........but you will have already fried the chicken?)

If you look at the heatsink/processor assembly...do you see gunk coming out round the sides?, this means that the thermal compound is bleeding, and may be compromised?

We also need to consider case geometry and airflow?...what case and fans are you using?

Give me a few answers...and I might be able to help........there are other solutions...but would you really want to worry about icicles, because your processor was running at minus 15?

Keep us informed please,

Cheers,

Johnno

Originally posted here by nihil
    I guess you are not overclocking?

Did you use the fan that came with the AMD?...........I bin them and get some good stuff...I am over here, and you there , so names may not mean much?..tell me what you guys have available? I tend to use "Cooler Master".

The white thermal "gunk" that comes with the pack, is pretty useless...You need to use silver based thermal compound ( better on the way...........but you will have already fried the chicken?)

If you look at the heatsink/processor assembly...do you see gunk coming out round the sides?, this means that the thermal compound is bleeding, and may be compromised?

We also need to consider case geometry and airflow?...what case and fans are you using?
    Nope, not overclocking. The temp starts around 50 and goes up a degree celcius about every minute. I am not going to start it again until I get a new fan/heatsink combo.

I dont see any gunk on the sides of the processor, but I have not taken the heatsink off yet. I will check in a bit. Its a standard case and the processor is set about 2 inches below the power supply. Other than that, it is far away from everything. I do have one casefan blowing out, but this has been the same since I purchased the system. I am thinking that I might as well go ahead and replace the fan.

OK CXG.

I would go for a case fan on the side....you may have to cut a hole...that SUCKS air in to the CPU/Heatsink area..........and get an overall box EXHAUST fan.....usually sits down the bottom and gets rid of about 40cfu/m?

Front fans seem pretty useless to me.

Add an extra 60/80mm exhaust fan at the rear.

Also make sure that cables are not interfering with the airflow?..the flat ones?

Not sure where you are, but unless you are building racing machines, with all the bits.............you have to expect about 12c above room temperature?

Cheers

Nihil, if he's never going to overclock and not pushing his memory, nor his cpu, nor his graphic card to the limit, IMHO he doesn't need that much work, since a while ago his box ran perfectly smooth and cool. I would get a new cpu fan from a decent brand (PAPST) together with a decent heatsink (Alpha or SLK-800 or SLK-900) sitting on the cpu with some silver thermal conduct. A fan at the side would help a lot, but it's probably not needed here. Just a good cpu cooler and an extra exhaust fan would be fine. Perhaps an intake fan at the front to cool the harddisks.

Originally posted here by nihil
    OK CXG.

I would go for a case fan on the side....you may have to cut a hole...that SUCKS air in to the CPU/Heatsink area..........and get an overall box EXHAUST fan.....usually sits down the bottom and gets rid of about 40cfu/m?

Front fans seem pretty useless to me.

Add an extra 60/80mm exhaust fan at the rear.

Also make sure that cables are not interfering with the airflow?..the flat ones?

Not sure where you are, but unless you are building racing machines, with all the bits.............you have to expect about 12c above room temperature?

Cheers
    It is an exaust fan in the back. I took off the fan and it looks like the red wire is smashed. Maybe enough to make it run slower. The outer part of the wire is not broken, but it is smashed spretty good. It almost looks like the fan hit it. The cables are clean and are out of the way. And the air conditioning is on all the time. The hottest it gets in here is 80 degrees fareinheit.