Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD 2100 getting too hot.

Hi,

Farenheit to centigrade.....I guess that you should be looking for no more than about 110f or around....46/48c..................never was much good at mental math

You need a fan that cools the power supply (this will usually come with it, and is situated at the rear of the box). There is usually another fan of around 80 mm at the back, this ususlly sucks OUT.

You may also have a fan of 40-80mm at the front, that also sucks OUT.............this is a pretty useless combination. The one at the front should suck IN and the one at the back should suck OUT.

I would suggest getting new fans and cleaning any airflows

Hope this helps

If you cannot get within 15C of air temperature.............please keep this thread going, as I have obviously failed to help this time round.

Cheers

Old Fart
    I had the same problem. I removed the fan and used alcohol to clean the fins of the heatsink and the fan blades (both sides...required separating the fan from the heatsink plate) and immediately got a significant temperatue drop. It takes 15 minutes to do and is by FAR the cheapest alternative. 2 drops of oil via the underside of the fan got a 700 rpm increase in the fan speed, which had also suffered due to dust.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I had bought a new computer through Office Depo. When I started it up, the system would shut down before anything would load. I called the tech support and we went through about 2 hours of this and that. Finally, they said the image was bad and sent me system recovery discs which did not come with the unit, but was in the program and could be loaded to cd. But how with no image, right. Well, I waited and told myself to "pop the hood" and take a look in side. There was a wire pushing on the blade of the fan of the cpu. I moved it over and started it up. It started working and I've been having fun ever sence, and I got recovery disc from compaq too. All because of a wire. You said a wire was smached. Fix the wire and do what 'allend 1963' says. It sounds like a cheap way to go, and sounds like it would work.

Freddy
    cybnut

interesting timing on this thread!

I just tried to update a kernel on a dual boot machine, AMD 2100+, ThermalTake Volcano 6cu+ CPU fan, w/case fan.

When I did "make modules", it failed with
    "internal error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,"

So I wiped the source, started again, ( same config ) and received the same error only with a different module in a different directory, one which had compiled with no problems before!

booted to M$ XP, ( to use motherboard utility ), checked CPU temp during normal operations, 65 C

ok, time to clean .... vacuumed inside and case filter, rebooted, now 60 C

Pulled the cpu cooling fan off, disassembled the heat sink/fan, cleaned it out ( alot of burnt stuff in there )

Put it back together, under normal operation again in XP, 50 C

Booted back to linux, no problem at all completing the kernel build!

Guess no use to bother bugzilla for this one!

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Lightbulb CXG

When the computer says 0 r.p.m that is not a good thing. R.P.M. stands for revolutions per minute, generally the more rpms the better. At 0 it means its not moving, which means eventually your box is going to burn out. Get a new fan, and prob heatsink

Keep with the replacement of the CPU fan, .

As for extra cooling.. the trick is Air flow.. recommend
    PSU fan - blowing out..(standard)
    Rear case Fan - Blowing Out (If space permitts.. also recommend switched)
    Forward Case fan - Blowing in, this one has an extra purpose of aiding the cooling of the HDD, as well as boosting the air flow..
    Side Case fan - Blowing In - Optional..

Air inlets have dust filter's fitted.. that is all passive and active inlets.. Less dust, longer life for the internal fans, cooler system.. happier owner..
    This currently works for my 2000+ system has survived one summer.. where day temps average 36 degrees Celcius through December/January with some days hitting 42.. and the CPU? managed to stay below 65deg on the hotest days.. BAD ? no..

Check this thread for the post from IKnowNot .. good info regarding these cpu's

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=247369
    My cpu's Core temp is rated to 90degs

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just to keep everyone updated:

I put in a cheap heatsink and fan and the temp is down to 51 degrees Celcius. I am going to replace it with something better, but I needed something to keep it running for the next couple of days.

Thanks for your help!
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)