Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realtek Tarball install

Realtek Tarball install

Hello Friends,

I was just curious as to if anyone could help me with a small dilemma. I got this tarball from Realtek (sound driver) and i 'untarred' it into a file. Now the readme tells me to....

Step 1. Unzip source code

tar xfvj alcsound.tar.bz2

Step 2. Turn on sound support (soundcore module, default turn on)

Step 3. Complied source code

a. ./Configure

b. make

c. make install

d. ./snddevices

Step 4. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the Distribution

(Please refer to the attached modules.conf)
    I have no idea what todo with step three. So I was wondering if someone would guide me! Thank you so much whoever helps!

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

It still disturbs and astounds me that people can successfully install *nix, yet not operate it. This is why I'm so against telling people to switch to it.

Anyways, step three is the actual compiling of the source, creating the software binaries. You have to change directories to the directory you just decompressed the tar.bz2 file to. Then you run the Configure shell script (./Configure).... This checks various variables, system and environment settings and so on and generates your Makefile based on those. When you type make it calls the Makefile and sits and compiles everything. Then you run make install and it runs the install section of the Makefile and copies your files to the proper locations. Then just run ./snddevices and it'll run the binary named snddevices.

So basically, your going to be doing just what the directions said.

after you unzip the file you want to go into the directory where it is all unzipped. then type

./configure It will go through a process of checking out variables like HT said.
    make
    make install
    ./snddevices

So basically just follow the directions.

[edit]
    One other thing I might suggest.

If you need to download a file to you computer but don't want to have to go throught the process of untarring it then configuring it, use http://rpmfind.net and search for the file there to find out if its is available in a rpm package.

As you know, rpm packages automatically install themselves. I find this much easier to use if your new to linux like I am

Thanks to phishpreak for showing me that site.

=

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    It still disturbs and astounds me that people can successfully install *nix, yet not operate it. This is why I'm so against telling people to switch to it.
    This is why i say switch to nix , because you are forced to learn something about how your computer works and then you end up with less users who are dum enough to open virus attachments and allow the spread of worms because they are ignorant of general computing. http://catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-k...rogrammer.html I am not flaming just pointing out that learning is good, complacency and over reliance is bad.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

OK so I run the 'config' file and get this message ----------->

checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/2.4.20-19.9/build
    checking for kernel version... The file /lib/modules/2.4.20-19.9/build/include/l
    inux/version.h does not exist.
    Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
    or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
    sources (default is /usr/src/linux).
    So apperently I need the new headers. Im really not to sure how to go about this...Would someone direct my idiocy.

scat

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge

This is why i say switch to nix , because you are forced to learn something about how your computer works and then you end up with less users who are dum enough to open virus attachments and allow the spread of worms because they are ignorant of general computing. http://catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-k...rogrammer.html I am not flaming just pointing out that learning is good, complacency and over reliance is bad.
    It's great if people want to learn, but they have to have a grasp first. Most people these days that get into nix don't bother with the command line. They stick to the GUI and they use rpmfind like cheyenne mentioned. They never learn anything new, and then suddenly they have to use the command line, or install something for themselves and they don't know how to do it. People should have an understanding of things before jumping into them. It's not that they aren't dumb enough to open virus attachments, they just can't pass them on because the worm and virus isn't meant for that OS. They'll still forward it to friends or whatever, because they're still dumb.

Scatman:

I'm not sure if that's a basic nix header or not. Check your gcc/g++ installs, get the new rpms or whatever you wanna get and install them, and if that doesn't work search for version.h on google and you'll find it... but it should be installed with your base system, not sure if it'll work with just any version.h file.

Don't get me wrong HT. I already know some about the command the line for unzipping and executing files, but I prefer to use rpmfind as it saves me time from having to log in as root and change to the different directories. I do agree with what you say about people must have a grasp on things, but sometimes a person has to do it the easy way and learn like that before they jumpt straight into the command line.
    =

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Don't get me wrong HT. I already know some about the command the line for unzipping and executing files, but I prefer to use rpmfind as it saves me time from having to log in as root and change to the different directories. I do agree with what you say about people must have a grasp on things, but sometimes a person has to do it the easy way and learn like that before they jumpt straight into the command line.
    I've used rpmfind (when i ran nix), because it does save time and for some things it's a lot easier. However If you learn to do something the easy way, you'll never learn it the hardway. I jumped straight into the CLI and went three years before I even installed X. I still don't like it. *nix isn't meant to have a GUI IMHO. I had pico/vi to edit files, pine for my email/newsgroups, zgv for viewing images, lynx/links for browsing the net, and everything else I could possibly need right there. If you sit in your GUI, download an rpm, double click on it and install it, you learn nothing. There's no learning process at all, you just act like a braindead twit.

I learned how to install before I started using RPMS.

I'd have trouble here and have to figure out a different way to go about installing. I definitely enjoy using *nix, because it represents a challenge to me right now. I'm trying to set up a FTP server and iptables. Something I've never done before but I figure my own computer is a good place to start

I don't think I'd get very far though right now if I didn't have a GUI, but give me a couple months and I'll be comfortable using ony the command prompt.
    =

Friends,

I think I know what to do but I need my Kernels header (source) files! I have no idea where to obtain them and am very frustrated! Would someone help...

scat