Thread: Where to start?...

Question Where to start?...

Hello all....
    I have enjoyed reading through the threads and tuts in this site. I am very new to the security world. My goal is to learn as much as possible about programming and the online security world in general. My problem is that I have no formal education in this field and i don't know where to start learning. Can you recommend a set of literature (I learn easier by reading) that I can focus on????
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Peace
    \"Ships in the harbour are safe, but that is not what ships are made for\" -Unknown

i would suggest start off with TCP/IP (base of networking) first
    "internetworking with TCP/IP" or "TCP/IP illustrated" will help.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Hi mate,

I am not able to recommend books, as you guys have a much better choice than we do....there are a lot of wise heads on this forum who will certainly help you.

What I would recommend though, is finding the CERT and CIAC sites an subscribing to the newsletters. Hey a book is obsolete before it is published? Teaches you principles, but it is nice to have daily updates?

Micro$oft also publish security bulletins.............too many, some might say...............but they are also worth subscribing to.

Finally, subscribe to the newsletters/bulletins from the major AV sites.

Not an exact answer to your question I know, but just a few extra ideas?

Hope this helped

Cheers

I dont think that you would find 1 specific book that would suit all your needs,

Certainly a trip to the local libary and looking at all books to do with TCP, networking and operating systems will help you greatly.

one book that is quite good for general secuirty and how its broken is hacking exposed, theres also hacking linux exposed and hack web applications exposed.

also having a read of the RFC and the rainbow books, these are all available online.

I know what you mean about reading makes you learn better, i often print out online tutorials and texts because there easier to read when there off the screen(I can scribble and anotate them to). I then staple them together and keep them in a file

hope this helps, PM if you want anything

i2c

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Check out Hacking Exposed Fourth Edition by the fine folks at Foundstone Security, or Network Security - A Hackers Perspective by Ankit Fadia. These will give you a nice base to start out with.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

rightly said hacking Exposed will cerainly be helpful...but knwing TCP/IP will strengthen ur concepts and will enable u to make up a general understanding on many issues
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

thanks a lot guys...
    I think you've answered my question...
    Your insight is much appreciated.

-P

p.s. I recently bought "Steal This Computer Book 3." Is that any good??? To me it seemed more like a catalog of software that you can buy online (at some parts of it)...let me know ur thoughts on that..
    c ya
    \"Ships in the harbour are safe, but that is not what ships are made for\" -Unknown

Don't be romanced into buying a book just because it has "hacker" in the title. What books you have read will not make you a "hacker" or a subject matter expert.
    If you really want to get good at networking & security you have to do it. Networking and security for the most part is a self taught skill. Reading up on TCP/IP is a great way to start, so is learning everything you can about your current OS, whether it be Windows, Linux whatever, just get good at what you have. Learn how the internet works, learn to use your command line. The key is to always be learning.
    There is plenty of free info on the web, find it, read it, use it. Just learning how to effectivly use search engines is good start.

One more thing, although some may disagree with me, start working on some certifications. CompTIA's A+ & Network+ are a great way to start. I say this not so much for the value of actually having the cert, but becasue it gives you a goal, structures your learning in the beginning (untill you learn to structure it yourself) and can provide that extra bit of motivation people sometimes need. Kinda a light at the end of the tunnel if you know what I mean.

If you do decide to go for a cert, stay away from vendor certs for now and stick with the vendor nuetral ones, Like I said, CompTIA is great way to go.

Good Luck!
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

I had read steal you computer and to me its more for anyone looking to get pointed in the direction of getting more info on various topics, they dont really cover anything in detail but is great for beginners who want to learn more. It gives you a run thru of the various topics and provides links to where more information can be obtained on the internet. its basically a stepping stone for those who are interested in learning more. from here you can look up the sites mentioned and get more information on the topics and go into more detail. this would be a good book for you to get in and then go to the sites and learn more.

Once you have done that, then its up to you to decide what you are more interested and go into more detail in those topics. one of the good books most of the people here would recommend would be tcp/ip illustrated. this teaches you about tcp/ip which is the basis for all networking subjects. once you got tcp/ip down it would be much easier moving on to other networking subjects.

Cool

I think im going to study on TCP/IP first and tehn pick up somethign on computer languages (C++).....
    You've been very helpful guys.....
    Have a great week

_P