Thread: i couldnt really figure out where this went...

i couldnt really figure out where this went...

hey im still in high school but i was wonderin if you security d00dz would tell me what kinda classes to take in college. thanks.
    Stay away from my friends, they\'re smooth operators lookin for a way in.

Where do you want your focus to be? Computer science, Management Information Systems, etc. I'm assuming you would like to have a security focus, but even at that, you are still going to want to get a general background in computing. You'll need to study programming, networking, management, etc. You may also want to consider certifications like A+, Cisco, possibly some of the Microsoft certs.

I'm sure we can be of more help if you can let us know what your interest is and what you intend to focus on...
    - Maverick

well i would like to do somethin where big firms hire your company to find holes and weak spots in security. a white hat hacker. a government job wouldnt be too bad either...(id get abraham lincolns birthday off ) ok i got some programming a little networking. thanks mav

No prob man...

Further, there are things you can now instead of waiting till you get to college. My advice to you is read, read, read till your eyes bleed... Get a hold of any books, papers, studies, etc that you can, reading and learning all that you can.. By doing so, you'll be helping yourself once you get to college, but you'll already know some basics. I spend time every day just reading up on new technologies, studies, etc. that I don't know about.. It's just part of the industry..

I'd try to get a jump on things even though you still are in high school.... Just reading and learning from the threads that are here on AO will do you a ton of good - participate when you can, ask smart questions and you will get the answers you desire...

Good luck, I love what I do and it's well worth the work I put into it..
    - Maverick

Let me tell you what I'm doing as I'm just starting classes this fall for.

I'm going to attend Devry University (after I take a semester or two of some basic classes at home)

The Major is called Networking and Communications Management.

Heres a quote from what type of jobs you'll be eligible for after you finish

Graduates are prepared for career-entry positions in areas such as:
    Network administration
    Network analysis, planning and management
    Network technical support
    Network troubleshooting and support

Network security
    Network operations
    Voice or data communications analysis and administration
    Internet/intranet administration
    Also, heres some of the classes required for this degree

Introduction to Telecommunications Technology
    Voice Communication Systems
    Routing Technology
    LAN Technology and Design
    WAN Technology and Design
    Network Operating Systems
    UNIX in the Network
    Internetworking with TCP/IP
    Network Operating Systems Using Windows
    Concepts in Information Security with Lab
    Theres also some classes with c++ and Java

Thats just a few of the courses.

Heres a link if you want to check out some more of the classes.
    http://www.devry.edu/programs_ncm.html
    =

Hey Hey,

To give you an example, I can tell ya what I did.

I did an extra year of HS (which for Canada means 6 years... well not anymore but it did then) I took a turing programming class, a vb programming class and 4 CCNA courses. Still had no idea what I wanted to do though. I chose a school based entirely on the city, all I knew was that it had networking and some programming but I loved the city. I've finished my first year of the program and I'm two weeks from starting the second and it's a great program. It's called Computer Systems Technology and it's basically training for Network Administration. We've had Intro to programing, networking, databases, operating systems. Advanced use of NT/2K/XP and we do *nix this year. We use Oracle, SQL and Access. We learn Apache and IIS. Sendmail and other mail servers. At the same time we do development courses for communication, documentation and stuff like that and then the last semester we cover Wireless networking and other advanced stuff (CCNA and CCNP along with a Nortel program will all end up being covered). Then we have a security course, where we take everything we've learned and break the stuff. I can't wait for that course. It's a pretty well rounded course. We'll also do a few hardware courses (1 done and i think one left).

ok sweet im in some college classes right now including data communications and java. i took a semester in vb last year which helped a little but it was only an introduction. i bought a c/c++ book, redhat linux 7.0 bible (i put linux on an old HP...now its actually worth having around ) and then a security book for linux (what with shells and all that...) i actually liked c/c++ and filled a whole note book with notes that i could take with me wherever. do you guys have any books you would recomend? and are internships worth having?

Originally posted here by smooth_operator
    ok sweet im in some college classes right now including data communications and java. i took a semester in vb last year which helped a little but it was only an introduction. i bought a c/c++ book, redhat linux 7.0 bible (i put linux on an old HP...now its actually worth having around ) and then a security book for linux (what with shells and all that...) i actually liked c/c++ and filled a whole note book with notes that i could take with me wherever. do you guys have any books you would recomend? and are internships worth having?

For books you may want to check out the product review forum here on AO - from time to time, people post information regarding a book and such. You may find some information of some value to you there.

As far as internships, yes, if you can get one, whether it be working alongside a security admin, network admin, etc., that is good. ANY experience in the field that you can gain before you actually get to the field is most certainly worth having. That'll save you from being in complete shell shock once you get to your actual job and you are not expecting certain things. So yes, find an internship, pay attention during the internship so you can soak up as much knowledge as possible...

Hi,

Might I suggest that you also "get your finger on the pulse" so to speak. Find CERT and CIAC, and subscribe to their e-mail security bulletins. Also subscribe to the AV alert bulletins by Symantec, NAI/McAfee, Panda, Kaspersky and so on. And even the Microsoft security alerts.

My message is that you need to balance academic reasearch with real life situations and case studies. All the stuff I have mentioned is free and updated regularly, so why not have some

Good luck