Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torvalds Slams SCO

Torvalds Slams SCO

They are smoking crack.
    So the SCO people seem to have a few problems keeping the truth straight, but if there is something they know all about, it's hypocrisy.
    Hey, until they can be bothered to show something real, I don't think it's even worth discussing.
    Read the whole article... HERE!

Another article worth noting... is an analysis of SCOs slide presentation in Las Vegas.
    Looks like that site has been overloaded... or slashdotted... here is a mirror.

Can you say... "THE HEAT IS ON!!!!!!"

Heheh I was waiting for Linus to say something about this SCO bullshit. I think Sco should just shut up and crawl back under the rock they came out from under

I'm still upset that my school teaches their *nix courses using sco. It's gonna be rather disappointing this year to have to log on to a shell and see sco (server name being sco.cst.*.ca)

Well just think you can flip them off everytime you see the name and cuss at them to your hearts content Hehehe

Well, you could give ME access to a SCO server

well the thing is sco cant sue the linux kernel directly, because as i know it linux was completely written from scratch and all the gnu tools are _NOT_ native to it.

no matter what the technical arguments are i sometimes worry that SCO might win bcos it all comes down to who has the better lawyers. Hopefully, IBM and whoever is joining them in the fight get a good team to put SCO in their place.

All this IP stuff is a real pain sometimes. I think there should be a limit on how long things are supposed to be protected if not there is no way to advance if the original owner hangs on to it for dear life. I bet there are some good stuff out there that is not progressing as it should be bcos the IP owner is holding on to it so tightly that no one can improve or make anythign that even closely resembles it.

Thank god for the GPL. Even if things are protected, they should be for a reasonable amount of time. With technology moving so fast, the time frame for IP to last should be quite short so that progress can be made.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    There is a time limit on how long its protected. If it was written since 1978, its 120 years. (or 95 years from publication date) Not sure if it is from before 1978. I don't remember the time on that cause I haven't looked at copywrite information in a long time.

And by IP do you mean Internet Protocol...which they are working on improving right now (see IP v6) or do you mean Intelectual Property?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    As far as I'm concerned, SCO brought a lot of trouble down the pipeline when they started this whole frivolous lawsuit into being. You have to have a SERIOUS issue and better bring hardcore evidence when you decide to take on someone like IBM/etc. IBM's counter-suit is insane and I'd be so worried if I were on the lawyer board for SCO. All it is to me is a method to have people buy licenses. Not because they actually have a good OS (I'm actually ashamed to have said I worked on SCO), but because nobody buys their stuff anymore. Too bad, so sad, cry me a river...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hell with taking on IBM, Id be scared shitless to see my phone bill when I took after the Linux people. If your a good enough hacker to write an OS or even help with it....Heh, SCO CEOs are soooo ****ed.