New computer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New computer

New computer

Ok im getting a windows XP home edition this september.. And I need help picking out a good firewall (Im pretty sure that this question has been asked before..). With the blaster worm running around.. Cant really be sure about which software to trust. AV software- I plan on using AVG Antivirus.. Unless you people have something else in mind..
    Share on Google+

You were right: There are other discussions regarding prospecting firewalls and AV's. In fact, there's quite a few.

Managed to dig you up some useful topics posted previously:
    Firewall Discussion
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ended+firewall

AntiVirus Discussions
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,110654,00.asp

The second url is courtesy of PCWORLD.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!
    Share on Google+

1st go to ms update and down load the patch. My internet provider sent me a e-mail telling me to download the patch. It's to bad with MS you have to download patchs all the time, but that's life with MS. Put a good firewall up and a good AV with it, maybe an anti spy bot and ad-ware program. Then just to be safe an anti-trojan program too. How about a couple of men dressed in black with alien blasters at the front door just to be sure.(lol)Do a little planning before you get that high speed computer, and you will have no problems and if you do, the people here are cool, they will help.

Freddy
    cybnut
    Share on Google+

I've always used Zone Alarm and found it to be great.

There is a free version and a Pro version which costs around US$40

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana
    Share on Google+

Thanks everyone for the fast reply I read each thread showtime sent me and my conclusion is- (drumroll)

...Ill beg my parents for a router
    Ill try out ZoneAlarm first (it was really lame on this comp, but alot of people said it rocked there XP)(Im using 98 right now)

For my antivirus-
    Ill use Norton Antivirus
    And ill get something like Spybot or ad aware.

Im not much of a 1337 h4x0r (is that how you spell it?) so pretty much, my comp depends on my firewall - antivirus (I only know html)(emphasis on the "anti online newbie" )

Fred- I dont need the men and black dudes.. I used to study tae kwon do

If you have any better ideas.. You still have about 2 weeks
    Share on Google+

I like a black belt with my Colt .357, but you are on the right track. And the new computers are great. Good luck. Who needs men in black!(lol)
    cybnut
    Share on Google+

(it was really lame on this comp, but alot of people said it rocked there XP)(Im using 98 right now)
    I have Zone Alarm on computers from M$ 98 to XP pro, never thought it "lame", just easier to use then others which is a plus when YOU are not the one using the computer.
    I can't say I haven't had problems with it. The free version would not work with XP for a long time ( it does now though, nicely ) but I had problems with others as well.
    And ill get something like Spybot or ad aware.
    GET BOTH!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes
    Share on Google+

Lightbulb NIS 2003

I Have to say Norton internet Security 2003

because you can highly customize firewall rules & also all their settings are fully encrypted!!
    and it comes with Norton AntiVirus 2003 =FULL=

ZoneAlarm is Crap
    some people like zonealarm but i don't
    im not saying ZA sucks im just saying you are very limited in ZA settings..
    Share on Google+

Hi!

I personally recommend ZoneAlarm to friends & family who are not computer experts. I do this because it is easy to understand and user friendly...................there are much more sophisticated products around, but these require a certain level of understanding to maximise their effectiveness.

I run AVG on this particular machine (the free version). It has two drawbacks as I see it:

1. Updates are not daily
    2. It updates the whole application, rather than incrementally.

For my friends I usually recommend PC-cillin, as it automatically updates "on the fly" and this only takes a few moments, even with a 56.6 dial-up connection. I have never seen this process crash what was already happening, even on low specification machines..........this is my main worry about autoupdate mechanisms. On the "downside" it does tend to be a little "oversensitive" in its detection, as I have seen false positives. That said, I'd rather have a false positive than a trashed system.

If you are looking for a "load it and forget it" solution, this combination is not bad.

I recommend that you visit http://www.diamondcs.com.au and have a look at their anti-worm and anti-trojan products. Whilst you are there get a copy of the free "RegistryProt 2.0".....it has saved my @ss on more than one occasion

You might also like to look at the WilderSecurity and AnalogX websites for some more freeware/security ideas.

Hope that this helps
    Share on Google+

i dont reccomend xp it is crap when you get your new pc uninstall xp (if you must run windows run windows NT) also run linux as well if you already have a computer -network them that way could try to gain acess to each pc and patch pugs and make them nice and secure also dont use a wireless network there very insecure
    Share on Google+