Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Peer to Peer App - Earthstation 5

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok..... I have played around with it a little..... There's a lot of stuff in it to play with.....

For your basic user - or the guy who is on it for the first time there appears to be a method to detect a user.

As they say in their docs they use UDP almost exclusively and packet dumps and firewall logs evidence that - there is a flurry of UDP activity at startup as it tries to contact the "sun" and the other "planets" in the galaxy. The trap is in the fact that these "planets" attempt a TCP SYN on the base filesharing port 37920, (which is blocked at the firewall).

A first time or normal user will fire it up and it will go out looking for a "sun" and "planets" via UDP which, in turn, will check for file sharing thus snort rules written to detect incoming TCP requests on port 37920 or searching the firewall logs for this port incoming should give the sysadmin a warning that someone has the software.

After an advanced user has fired up the software for the first time and gone straight to advanced settings then all bets are off. They can activate secure comms on port 39593 which will probably elicit the same inbound connections to check for file sharing by the other "planets" but everything is configurable.

A properly set up firewall should prevent users from sharing their own files but it is going to be a devil of a job stopping them from d/ling them if they are a bit savvy.

NOTE: This was a quick and dirty look at how it works and is in no way to be considered foolproof...... It's what I saw mine do......

[edit]
    Forget everything after "good morning"..... I just installed it on a second machine..... It selects it's ports randomly.... The only common factor is the flurry of UPD activity when you start it up....<sigh>
    [/edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I jsut got it working... But i have a problem. I cant figure out how to get it working with stealth mode. One i cant find any proxies anywhere... Two i wouldnt know how to put them in if i did... So i fanyone has figured this out i would apreciate the help greatly. Also there is another p2p app like this called Direct Connect. it works great for me and uses the same idea of non traceable filesharing that ES5 does. Thanx in advance guys...
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    1. Log into the forums and go to the proxies forum.
    2. Pick a list you like.
    3. highlight it
    4. copy it
    5. go to settings - advanced
    6. right click the proxy list
    7. paste
    8. save settings
    9. start d/ling.......

I put my test copy on stealth 'cos i don't want things pointing to my work......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Interesting concept. I only wish it had a linux client, then I'd be really happy.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Banned
    Umm and then after that u can go **** urself with a duck and what not... u know beastiality is coming back into style and all.. have fun with it...