Not sure exactly sure which forum this belongs in...

I'm trying to help out a friend with a problem. But... I'm not really experienced with m$ Exchange.

He has a win2k domain (with active directory, of course)... lets call it company.com

His internal email server is Win2k server running Exchange 2k.

His external mail is handled by his ISP rather than putting his own email server on the internet.

login names are as follows

Larry User's account would just be user (last name of the user)
Larry's external email account would be luser@company.com

The workstations are Win2k and using Outlook 2k for internal mail and external internet mail.
Using the exchange service for internal mail.
Using the POP3/SMTP service for external mail.

They want to keep both accounts within Outlook2k.

The problem:

when Larry User sends an email externally, it is going through the exchange server rather than using the ISPs mail server.

When people get his mail, the senders address is user@company.com rather than luser@company.com so people can't reply to him as user@company.com doesn't exist.

How can you get the Outlook client to use the ISPs server to send external mail instead of the exchange server?

Is there a way to disable the sending of external mail on the exchange server?

Any advise on how to setup Outlook2k to do the above properly?

As it is now, he has to use Outlook2k to send internal mail and Outlook express to send and recieve external mail.
This is a workaround, but not practical because it just eats up resources on the workstations and its a pain to have to use two clients to get the job done.

Another thing that I can think of off hand that would fix the problem would be to change all the user accounts to first initial and last name...

so the logon name would match the email address...

login name luser
external email address luser@company.com

That would also be a pain, because they'd have to recreate ALL the user accounts on the domain that use external mail, along with recreating all the group members and permissions and home drives, etc.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I can't think of anything else off hand...

Thanks in advance and if this should be in a different forum... mods: please feel free to move it. Thanks again!