Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPN Port

VPN Port

Just setting up Routing and Remote Access.. I think the VPN port is 1723 but I'm not too sure. Can someone verify this?

Thanks,

Chris

Aye, I believe it's Microsoft's port for PPTP.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Ignore this it's absolute waffle - I should actually wear my glasses!

The port number depends of your OS.

If it's a micro$haft OS then it's port 5900

If it's a *nix system it depends on what display the VNC server is running

5900 for display :0
    5901 for display :1
    5902 for display :2
    etc.

For more info look here: http://www.tightvnc.com/
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Steve - you're confusing VNC and VPN.

they are totally different.

Slarty

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by slarty
    Steve - you're confusing VNC and VPN.

they are totally different.

Slarty
    How right you are - Sorry folks it's a little too early in the morning for me.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

you're right waytallgel, thats the port number for PPTP, designed my M$ and is supported by all windows OS's. Another port you can use is L2TP which is more secure because of IPSec.

VPN's are unfortunately not all the same. What client/server are you using and what protocol (i.e., GRE, IPSEC, etc)?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

What kinda software are you using for the client and server??? I've only had experience with Novell Bordermanager VPN's.

There are 3 main flavors of VPN:
    PPTP
    L2TP
    IPSEC

back I beleive in 1995 Microsoft wanted to standardise PPTP
    and Cisco at same time wanted to standardse thier L2F..
    L2TP emerged out if that,,,

Then came ofcourse IETF(internet enginnering task force ) and standardised IPSEC and made it so much more frikin complicated..any time you have a bunch of roosters who all cant
    agree on one way of doing something end up with including a little of everything..

IPSEC is not one protocol it is a framework of open standards for ensuring secure private communications over IP networks. It is however the industry standard and the most secure
    of all 3.

Anyway PPTP yes uses I believe port 1723/TCP , however PPTP traffic consists of a TCP connection for tunnel maintenance and GRE encapsulation for tunneled data.
    I believe GRE is procol 47 (not sure #)

Cheers.

Originally posted here by gunit0072003
    There are 3 main flavors of VPN:
    PPTP
    L2TP
    IPSEC

back I beleive in 1995 Microsoft wanted to standardise PPTP
    and Cisco at same time wanted to standardse thier L2F..
    L2TP emerged out if that,,,

Then came ofcourse IETF(internet enginnering task force ) and standardised IPSEC and made it so much more frikin complicated..any time you have a bunch of roosters who all cant
    agree on one way of doing something end up with including a little of everything..

IPSEC is not one protocol it is a framework of open standards for ensuring secure private communications over IP networks. It is however the industry standard and the most secure
    of all 3.

Anyway PPTP yes uses I believe port 1723/TCP , however PPTP traffic consists of a TCP connection for tunnel maintenance and GRE encapsulation for tunneled data.
    I believe GRE is procol 47 (not sure #)

Cheers.
    I guess that is what I get for trying to throw that out there too quick. I meant ESP, not IPSEC.

GRE is protocol 47. ESP is protocol 50. There is another one that is 51 but I forget which...AH?

Here is a good link I found while trying to remember what 51 was:
    http://www.firewall-1.org/2002-10/msg00842.html

Regardless, the most common protocols I have seen are GRE and ESP with VPN clients.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)