Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joining more than one domain?

joining more than one domain?

Is it possible to have a Win XP machine join more than one domain?

I know how to list all the domains in the logon box (registry entry) but it doesn't let me authenticate even with cached credentials. Anybody know the work around for this?

From memory this is not possible as the PC registers with the domain controll or active directory server for authentication. You would have access to other domains if a trust has been set up between them

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

You can't belong to 2 domains at one time, but you can set up multiple accounts on your machine that belong to different domains.
    Not sure if thats the info you are looking for, but hope it helps.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

Thats exactly what I want to do. I don't want to be joined all at the same time. I would like to be able to choose which domain I can log into. I do work for 3 different companies and I use my own laptop and would like to be able to select the domain I need to logon.. How could I get around to doing that?

You need to have the domain admin of each company add your laptop to their domain.

Once an account for your laptop in each domain has been created, you should see the 3 options in the login screen.

You will also need an ID and password for each domain

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

If i am not wrong, there is a software out there that allows you to do that. I remember I saw someone using it some time back but it wasnt on XP. So I dont know if it will work on XP.

I also could be wrong about the software. Let me try to contact the person and see if it realy works the way u want it to.

Anyway, if it is not possible, u could just log in to the system locally and the connect to whatever you want in the domain you are working on and type the domain id and password when connecting. Although that might be more work than joining multiple domains.

I check on the info and let u know.

Shouldn't my laptop already exist in Users and Computers since I already logged into the domain or do we have to physically add the laptop in the users and computers?

Thanks r8Devil

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you cannot be added to the users and computers group unless you are part of the domain. And once connected to a domain, you cannot be part of another domain unless there is a trust realtionship between the 2 domains. Then the access rights can be assigned across the domains.

Chris, some of the guys replied to me and they cant seem to remember the software also. Anyway, I'll PM you if I get any other replies with the information you need.

cool... thanks r8devil

The Iceman Cometh
    golam hit it on the head. I am a consultant and do a great deal of work on-site with Windows 2000 and Windows XP laptops. Once I added the machines to each of the domains, they all show up under my log in screen (just make sure you don't use the log in screen, you have to use the dialog box-style log in). All I do when I log on is choose the domain, enter the correct credentials, and I'm up and running.

AJ