Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange noises

Question strange noises

Heres my problem.

I was on my home box checking my email before work and I start hearing a door squeak open and then it slams shut shortly later. It happened repeatedly at irregular intervals. I have a XP box with Nortons AV and Zone Alarm, I'm on a dsl hookup. My daughter was at kazaa recently. I've ran AV alot latly (worm control) and done all the windows updates. I checked for things running in the back ground and found nothing out of the odinary. also there are no warnings from the AV or the Firewall.

so the Q is does anybody have the slightest idea what the bejesus i'm hearing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Banned
    Just a thought but may be you are going nuts???

Or more seriously, Maybe some settings have been altered so that when sertain actions are takes thay call upon "squeeking of a door" in this case??

Just a thought

Nightfalls_Girl

Well the only software, I can think of, produces the sound like a door is ICQ.
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

No messenger type programs? AOL instant messenger has a door opening and shutting sound for when users come online or go offline. Maybe you're daughter when she was on the comp last enabled all the sounds.

Well...

My suggestions:

It could be one of those annoying messaging programs like AIM that makes the door open/door close sound. The new AIM integrates with Outlook Express and fires up when you start the program unless you change the option for it not to. Check your IM programs and if you're running a bunch of them or your daughter is switch to Trillian. It kicks ass and can log you onto AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, and MSN all at the same time within one program. It will make life a lot easier. Once installed uninstall all the other ones.

OR it could be hardware related.

If the noise was coming from inside your PC then it could be one of a couple of things:

1. Hard Drive going bad
    2. CD-ROM going bad
    3. Bad PSU fan stopping and starting from the bearings going bad (also applies to case fans)

If it is indeed your Hard Drive then burn everything you need to disk and get it replaced. Keep in mind these are BIG *if's*. I can't stress enough backing your data up if it is your HD.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Banned
    You can have media player check for media files. (Example) AVI, mp3, mpg, & ect. Most of these I.M. and outlook programs I've seen have .wav and mp3 sound effects. After that if you've found the sound check for a filename for it then do a search on your HD for that file and usually the .wav files appear in the same directory as the program that is running it. If you can't find any mp3 or .wav files then the noise may very well be from a .exe file which could be anything from a normal program to a trojan. "(Which sounds like it would be very entertaining option for a backdoor trojan BTW !LMAO!)" Also I've seen some screensavers play sound effects and do some pretty wild stuff also. As a matter of fact I know a guy with a screensaver of a haunted house and ghost fly by with the windows & doors opening on the screen with sqweeking sound effects then like every 30 seconds that the screen saver plays you can hear a owl hoot. Oh and if your worried about prank malware then check the stuff running at startup, check your proccesses, look for strange files and blah blah blah...

If its not in the computer then check around your house, if its not comeing from in or outside the house either... then get some help from a therapist or going to rehab might help. Oh and P.S. have you tried calling ghostbusters?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    If the noise was coming from inside your PC then it could be one of a couple of things:

1. Hard Drive going bad
    2. CD-ROM going bad
    3. Bad PSU fan stopping and starting from the bearings going bad (also applies to case fans)
    LOL,

In the 20+ years I have been dealing with computers, I have *never* heard a bad hard drive make sounds like a poltergeist manifestation. That goes for cooling fans or any other moving part inside a box. Although I did hear scratching coming from inside a box one time and it turns out that a mouse found its way inside.

Without question, you have a messaging proggie of one type or another as suggested in the other posts in this thread.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Like I Said

thehorse13

Since you seem to be extremely more knowledeable than I in the computer field having 20+ years of experience compared to my 3+ then maybe you didn't notice the fact that I said these are big *if's* or did that slip your mind? I never thought I'd see a tampon in a computer but hey that's happened as well. I'm surprised one of such experience automatically rules out what others say due to just how long they have been working with computers. You have the experience (I don't doubt you do) and to tell me what can and cannot happen would be foolish. Every PC technician says "I'll be damned" at least once or twice a month in response to some new problem or issue. I was giving this person options to help and like I said they are big *if's*. Anyway, my 2 cents.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Its your daughters friends signing off yahoo messenger ,or some other similar service. It gave me alittle scare the first time i heard it to. It is not an expected sound to come from a computer due to its lack of hinges and door.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

thehorse13;
    I have to agree with you about modern PCs, but don’t you remember the “sounds like a poltergeist manifestation” from the old System/370s ??
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes