Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More problems

More problems

Ok, I wrote a thread about this problem about a month ago. Now its coming back to haunt me.

I have an ASUS A7S333 AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2200
    300 Watt Allied Power supply and of course hd, flopyy etc.

I get everything put together plug the PS in and turn on the computer but nothing happens. I do it one more time and see the fans starting to turn then they stop. I can not get the computer to stay on.

I've tried another PS but have the same problems.

Any ideas
    =

Hi,
    This is certainly a weird one. From what I gather, it does not even get into the Post Cycle? I which case I guess that we can rule out any conflicting BIOS/MoBo jumper settings, as it really hasn't got that far? I would also suggest that it hasn't run long enough for any thermal cut out to activate? Have you tried the BIOS re-set jumper yet, just in case? This will (hopefully) set your memory multiplier and such back to base (safe) levels. I do not know Asus MoBos but it appears to have a 333Mhz frontside BUS?, and it is an Athlon not a Duron (they only support 100Mhz, as I seem to recall)

I am wondering if the 300W power supply is quite enough? You might try it with the minimum of components attached...........say just the HDD and floppy? The fact that the fans do move obviously shows that some power is getting through.

I hate to have to say this, but if it overheated at any time you might have damaged the Mobo or processor..............I would expect you to get absolutely nothing from it in that scenario, though. Can you get the processor tested? and if that is OK the Mobo.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at this stage, please keep us posted on developments.

BTW.............what memory does it have (amount/type)?

Cheers

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Does your MB have a power indicator light onboard? If so, is it lit? I have to say that I agree with nihil, sounds like the board my be toast. Do you have another one?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Well the motherboard can't be completely shot, or it wouldn't 'let' any power through to activate the fans (the power switch will connect to the motherboard, which acts as a relay switch for the main power). Are you getting any beeping from it? This would indicate that there is something wrong with the CPU, memory or motherboard.

However I don't think this is the case from what you have said. The fact that it does briefly power up suggests that you aren't getting enough power through, like nihil said. If there was sufficient power and one of the core components was damaged, it would stay on and beep. What other components do you have in the box?
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

Hey cheyenne1212,
    Maybe the problem your having is due to the fact that your inbred....
    Just a thought to ponder.

Yours truly,
    hillbillyh8ter

/me bitch slaps hillbillyh8ter and drags him behind my 76 ford truck on my gravel roads

I don't believe that it is the board because I just got it in today. So its a brand new board.
    There is a light on the M/B that is lit up to green Which the manual says that it mean its fine.
    I guess I could try switching the processor, but if it was a bad processor wouldn't I get beeps?

I unplugged my HD CD-ROM, Floppy. The only thing connected is the power cords to the M/B

Nihill: The memory is 256MB of PC2100
    =

Hillbillyh8ter, isn't one of the stereo types of inbreds that they can't spell or use proper gramma?
    due to the fact that your inbred.
    Yes, if the processor was bad then you would get beeps. Although only if you have your system speaker plugged in properly. Have you tried making sure that all of the front panel button wires are connected to the motherboard correctly? It could be your shorting the power on pins causing it to turn of straight away, or you haven't connected the speaker (if there isn't one on the board) or something like that.

You said it stays on for a bit (enough to get the fans spinning), how long are we talking? Second/s, milliseconds?
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

Try this

Unplug everything (including cables in the back) from the mobo except for the processor and memory. Don't even plug power leads into the drives only into the motherboard. Also, remove all the cards in the system except for video; sometimes you might have a PCI card that's causing problems. And the board won't beep all the time if the processor is bad. The board is an Asus and they make some of the best stuff on the market as far as I'm concerned. Like some of the other users mentioned it might be a bad board even if the greed LED is lit and saying everything is OK. Also try swapping your memory into a different slot and changing the memory out for a new stick. And try swapping out the video card as well. Hope this helps.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Hmm... such negative feedback.
    Look da`poop...the word gramma is spelled grammar.

Hi Cheyenne,

The memory is OK from a spec. viewpoint............you have a 333MHz board, and PC2100 will run at 133MHz, so you should be well within spec. [some boards will support up to 3GB of 2100 or maybe 2Gb of 2700, but no more than 512Mb of 3200..........all on the same board].

As already mentioned the Athlon 2200 will also support what you have, so I believe that we can rule out any spec. conflict?...............just something we had to eliminate from the enquiry, so to speak

I am a little suspicious when you say that the board is brand new . I had a friend trying to build a 1.3GHz Duron box who had 3 MoBos before they sent him one that worked..... I used to work in IT with the UKs largest electrical highstreet chain............we found that stuff was either "dead on arrival" or failed within 72 hours. I still would not give your MoBo a clean bill of health yet.............if power is not reaching the processor correctly, it may show the symptoms you describe. The green light will show, but without a CPU, not much else will happen, other than a bit of feeble fan activity?

I am happy with the RAM, because we don't seem to have got there yet.........it should POST, light up the screen, and start to give bleeps and error messages when it tries to do the memory test. From what I understand............it doesn't get this far?...............the fans should be going full belt by this time?

Looks like MoBo or processor to me. I am not familiar with your board, but I would try to get it tested. If it is OK, then try the processor. Alternatively, I suggest that you try something like a Duron 1.3, if you can borrow one..........no need for fancy thermal paste, you are only going to run it for about 60 seconds..........just be sure you have a SUITABLE heatsink and fan..........if it works then it is the Athlon 2200, if not, the MoBo. You could take a "position" as they say, and return the MoBo...........I do not know what is the most cost effective way of getting consumer satisfaction in your country? (please don't quote me the prices of .357, 9mm, 12 gauge or whatever )

BTW..............I liked the mature way that you responded to our young friend........just don't try it over here or the Royal Society for the Prevention of Crulety to Ford Trucks (RSPCFT) will doubtless be on your case ........not to mention the County Council, regarding the gravel roads?

Please keep us informed..............a challenging thread

Cheers