Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More problems #2

More problems #2

Ok I'm redoing this thread since Hillbillyh8ter didn't like me and the whole thread went suicide.

Ok, I wrote a thread about this problem about a month ago. Now its coming back to haunt me.

I have an ASUS A7S333 AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2200
    300 Watt Allied Power supply and of course hd, flopyy etc.

I get everything put together plug the PS in and turn on the computer but nothing happens. I do it one more time and see the fans starting to turn then they stop. I can not get the computer to stay on.

I've tried another PS but have the same problems.

I've left only the power connection to the M/B connected and still had the same problem.
    =

Re: More problems #2

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Ok I'm redoing this thread since Hillbillyh8ter didn't like me and the whole thread went suicide.

Ok, I wrote a thread about this problem about a month ago. Now its coming back to haunt me.

I have an ASUS A7S333 AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2200
    300 Watt Allied Power supply and of course hd, flopyy etc.

I get everything put together plug the PS in and turn on the computer but nothing happens. I do it one more time and see the fans starting to turn then they stop. I can not get the computer to stay on.

I've tried another PS but have the same problems.

I've left only the power connection to the M/B connected and still had the same problem.
    Have you tried another motherboard? I haven't looked over the other thread entirely, but check the mother board for burn marks and such... it could be a bad board. The PS should not be hooked up with only the MoBo.. it should always be connected to a full load. I know nihil (hope I spelled that right) mentioned that you might not have enough power in your last thread, but that's bs.. so you can ignore it. A complete system can be ran off of under 200W, so it'd boot regardless.

The motherboards not fried because I just opened it up 3 hours ago. Its brand new.

This is my third round with this motherboard not working. I've had three separate M/B's. Its gotta be something I'm doing. Either that or I'm just having a really bad month.
    =

Old Fart
    I'm leaning towards perhaps a RAM issue here...remove and reseat, then see if it will POST.

Some of the better M/B's on the market tend to be picky about the RAM they will run with, so that generic alternative (not an accusation here chey...) that has an attractive price isn't always the best route to go.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Hi Cheyenne!

I am still here sorry about the "strange young man" who interrupted that which was an excellent and challenging thread. I will try to find my XP2200 box......just moved house...it is a public holiday weekend over here so I might find the time

Sorry to appear so ignorant............you guys use different terms from us............

1972 Dodge Challenger..........white.................did you ever see the film "Vanishing point?"....I might even learn to drive something other than "that steered by its tracks".........18 tons and a 76mm?

Keep the thread going...BTW...I will check my e-mail and respond if you have.............just got onto broadband here, so my usual e-mail has to be contacted separately..........

Take care

BTW...what O/S would you be trying to load, when we get it going?

I trust you took all steps to insure static electricity didn`t fry the board while install.

Ahhh close to being banned now hillbilly so now you give legit responses in hopes of getting greenies.

Yeah I took all precautions to ground myself.

Allenb: I would say Ram but the board won't stay on past 2 seconds. Surely its something else, but I'll swap some ram just to make sure.
    =

Hi Folks....I am not a moron...still practising...........we had a comms glitch so a bit came in between Cheyenne's and my post.............

I am now very suspicious of the CPU..............OK HTregz, I accept your diagnosis......but why does it not work....I have come across machines from big companies, that I would describe as "friday afternoon specials"...no names, no pack drill............I am not paying lawyers to defend me for the rest of my life It may SAY 300w on his box, but DOES IT DELIVER IT?...I agree entirely that you are correct, if it is set up with minimal accessories............

Allenb.................know what you mean....but the fans should turn...even with no RAM.....it does not even look for that until about interrupt 27/28h in the Post?

Hey, Cheyenne...............I feel that I am in danger of getting personally involved here
    as in "what are the serial numbers of your motherboard and processor"?

Take care friend................

lol Nihil.

If you need the serial numbres let me know

You are right about the PS though Nihil. A lot of PS's say that they deliever 350W but onl deliver 300 or so, but Surely a 300W PS should be enough to run a AMD Athlon XP 2200, one hd, one Cd-rom and on Floppy.

I'm quitting right now. Had to much of this damn computer.

I'll probably be back on it tommorow with someone else to help me along. Maybe he can see soemthing I'm not.

c'ya
    =

Regal Making Handler
    This sounds like it could be a grounding problem. I had a similar problem with a pc i was building a while back.

Have you got the board in the case? If you have you can try taking it out laying it on a flat surface plug everything into the board and see if that works.

The pc i built would not fire up for me when i put everything in the case so i layed everything out on the floor, got it to fire up. Put it all back in the case and no good.

It turned out to be a mounting post in the wrong place that was causing a short on the board.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry