Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webcam Hijacking??

I also have a creative web cam with the software that you are speaking of.

I also have the monitor program installed...

I have never seen it do anything like described.

But then again... I am a bit parinoid when it comes to stuff like that... microphone and webcam unplugged when not in use.

FYI- there are more trojans other than sub7 that will allow the attacker to take control of the webcams..

optixpro would be a good example.
    http://www.evileyesoftware.com/
    net-devil trojan
    amongst many others...

also, is this happening only when you're online?

Use a program such as tcpview or fport to see if you have any odd programs listening...

Another thing you can use to see what is taking control of your webcam would be filemon .

Fire up filemon and wait for the webcam to start acting up. I'd be more intersted in what is happening before and during the webcam acting up... You can see which files/programs are active and rule them out one by one until you find the offending program.

You may also want to look into pstools ...

Have phun investigating! And let us know your results.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Is it just a webcam, or a digital camera too? Mine is both, and it has a camera setting, an off setting, and a webcam setting. I've discovered that if I leave it on webcam mode and plugged in, it randomly takes pics. If I make sure it's turned off, it doesn't do it. Kinda freaked me out the first time I came back to the computer and the webcam software was open and there were like 10 new pictures Fortunately, when I'm not actually using it as a webcam, I put it on a shelf in my desk, so it was just pictures of a bunch of books...lol. I finally realized what the problem was, and it hasn't happened since.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.