Ethernet wire config?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet wire config?

Ethernet wire config?

Can someone give me a quick ethernet wire config diagram? like | orange | green | stripe green| you know? sorry i cant search for it. no time to search. and my internets cutting in and out. dumn adsl
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Following the EIA/TIA 568 B standard , here goes:

RJ45 connector has 8 pins,,
    when looking at the RJ45 connector with the "lip" not facing you, pin #1 starts from your left with pin #8 furthest to the right. Like this

Pin#1 Pin#2 Pin#3 Pin#4 Pin#5 pin#6 Pin#7 Pin#8

Pin#1==> color is white orange (means dominant color is mostly white w/bit of orange)
    pin#2==> color is orange white (means dominant color is mostly orange w/bit of white)
    pin#3==> color is white green (means dominant color is mostly white w/bit of green)
    pin#4==> color is blue white (means dominant color is mostly blue w/bit of white)
    Pin#5==> color is white blue (means dominant color is mostly white w/bit of blue)
    pin#6==> color is green white (means dominant color is mostly green w/bit of white)
    pin#7==> color is white brown (means dominant color is mostly white w/bit of brown)
    pin#8==> color is brown white (means dominant color is mostly brown w/bit of white)

Ethernet uses pins 1 & 2 to transmit data and pins 3 & 6 to receive data..
    All other pins do not matter,,,If you cut them off cable still works..

Also According to EIA/TIA 568B standard
    the blue pair is referred to as 1st pair
    the orange pair is referred to as 2nd pair
    the green pair is referred to as 3rd pair and
    the brown pair is reffered to as 4th pair...

Therefore, also Ethernet not also uses pins 123&6 also uses 2nd and 3rd pairs....

Hope this helps

Cheers.....

P.S.

I dont wanna get beat up on one other minor point I forgot to mention,,,

Some catagory cables have their orange/white, blue/white, green/white and brown/white..colored as all orange, all blue, all green and all brown...

Good post, gunit0072003, here's some additional info:
    10bT only uses 2 pairs, but 100 and 1000bT use all 4 pairs. Also, beware, many people consistently wire up their connectors incorrectly (for example, they get the pin numbers backwards). Most of the time this works, but if you cut the cable and wire up the cut ends "correctly," it won't work. So if you're reusing cable (turning a 100' into two 50', for example), make sure that the existing connectors are wired correctly.

Oh, and no post about rj45 ethernet is complete without ascii art:
    Code:
     \      |__|\      \  |
      \      \  \\      \ |
       \______\  \\______\|
               \__\|  \
                  \    \
                   \    \
                    \    )  <-- wire
                     \__/

J3r

IEEE 802.3 ---10Meg Ethernet
    IEEE802.3u---100 Meg Ethernet
    IEEE802.3y---100 Meg Ethernet (no one uses,,see comments below)
    IEEE802.3z---1000meg Ethernet/1 gig Ethernet
    IEEE802.3ae---10gig Ethernet

IEEE802.3 defines 10 meg on two pairs as stated by you and I however when it comes to 100 Meg its not one or the other,,,Let me explain

IEEE802.3u defines two flavors of 100 Meg Ethernet:
    1) 100baseTX which uses 2 piars on catagory 5 wire (most popular and most widely used) and
    2) 100baseT4 which uses 4 pairs on catagory 3 wire ( no one uses it , it was included in standard because many building had their wiring infrastructur with catagory 3) It uses an encoding method of 8B/6T (8 bits/6 ternary signal) which significantly lowers the signalling frequency, making it suitable for voice-grade wire such as catagory 3.

In addition, IEEE802.3y sprung up in 1997 and defined 100baseT2. This worked on catagory 3, 4 and 5 and required 4 pairs as well. (no one uses this as well, It relies upon digital signal processing chips method called PAM5x5 (4bits point to one of 25 possible values) to function over lower bandwidth cable type..

Cheers..
    Hope didnt get too carried away with terminology...

P.S.
    If you wire up your cable backwards it will NEVER work....
    Oh and about gig Ethenet, yes it uses all 4 pairs cat5e wiring---->(1000baseT)

The Blue/Blue White pair is (historically) for Telco. The 'old' Tip & Ring.

The Brown/Brown White pair is/was used for some mainframe connections via emulator
    software.

Telcos started using Cat3 in the '80s as it propogated the signal better than Silver Satin.

You cant really make that statement dcongram,

blue pair which is pin 4 and 5 was also used by token ring,,
    Token Ring uses pins 345. and 6

ALso making a staright through cable, 124 and 5 was used by CSUs for T1 circuits,,
    and pins 127 and 8 for DSUs for DDS circuits..

I think we beat this subject to death,,,

Cheers..

gunit0072003.......

I didn't mention Token Ring (so as not to muddy the waters). But when Cat3 first came out (over 20 years ago) they agreed that Blue/blue white would/could still be for Telco.

Back then Token Ring used it's own network cable. It's only been in the past few short years they used Cat 5.

I did say 'Historically'. Things have changed. Ya had to be there to hear the Telco guys telling us how they invented Cat3.

I'm showing my age cause I was there in the '80s. Feeling pretty good cause we were replacing 10base2 with Cat3 (first generation Cat3....the clear stuff)

"ouch" says the dead horse.

Anyway, I really do think that wiring two rj45 jacks backwards will work. I seem to recall having done it, and it working. Really, does it matter what order they're in as long as each pair matches up correctly? I would be surprised if the A/D converters on the ethernet cards took the twist rate into account...

J3r,

whats your definition of backwards?
    Ethernet uses pins 123 and 6...
    12 to TX and
    36 to RX

If you are implying that you can use any color scheme, absolutely you can do so...
    The color code has nothing to do with Ethernet, its to make everyones life better
    when running cable and troubleshooting diff wiring..(EIA/TIA standard not IEEE)

Maybe Im not following you,,,,I apologize if I misunderstood

Cheers

P.S

straight thru cable:
    1<------>1
    2<------>2
    3<------>3
    6<------>6

Cross-over cable:
    1<------>3
    2<------>6
    3<------>1