Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Blocking Traffic from 255.255.255.255?

To help the newbies with there firewalls configure configure configure

1.step click start menu
    2.click run
    3.type in services.msc
    4.hit enter it should bring you to a service window
    now this is simple start at the top of the list go
    down and find the following items and right click then properties
    and disable the
    following items on the my list ok simple
    THE LIST:
    1.DSN Cient
    2.Error reporting services
    3.Help and support
    4.IPSEC services
    5.messenger
    6.NVIDIA Driver helper
    7.System restore
    8.Task scheduler
    9.TCP/IP NetBIOS helper
    10.network location awareness
    11.SS DP discovery services
    Spread Firefox.

Swampy_ finger:

I'm very curious as to why you recommend disabling the System restore service?

When I was first starting out learning all about computers there was no system restore... and I wish there had been. My system restore was getting out the install disks and my backups...

I think the system restore service is great for the following reasons...

If you are installing software that you don't know will work well with your PC or drivers that may cause your system to become unstable, you can simply rollback. It is much easier to do that, than it is to boot to safe mode, remove offending programs/drivers, load correct drivers, etc.

Granted... it my take up a bit of HD space and a bit of resources... and if you are infected with a virus or trojan... it makes it a bit harder to clean up... but simply stopping that service will dump your restore data.

I also normally disable the webclient, wireless client, computer browser, portable serial number, remote registry, routing and remote access, UPnP, time, automatic updates (cause I like to update my own) and the alerter service.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I think the system restore service is great for the following reasons...
    That is when it works properly.

__

I agree though, newbies will almost certainly find a friend in System Restore. Personally, I disable System Restore only because I never use it.

Just my 2 cents...

That is when it works properly.
    I've never run into any problem with it *knocks on wood*. But then again... I don't just go installing just anything anymore. I've learned enough times not to do that...

What kinds of problems have you experienced?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

nobody knows how much microsoft can screw you over especially with its new features such as system restore it seems like everyday microsoft has somthing else gay around the corner like that guy kicking down the door in the humor forums lol I guess you should only tweak things that your sure you dont need
    Spread Firefox.

I've never run into any problem with it *knocks on wood*. But then again... I don't just go installing just anything anymore. I've learned enough times not to do that...

What kinds of problems have you experienced?
    Well i used to install just about anything i could get my hands on. The average careless windows user that i was only 2 years ago.

It worked out fine for me on numerous occasions, but sometimes when i went tweaking around in the registry and happend to screw something up it would'nt correct what i messed up after performing a System Restore. Obviously i have no one to blame for that but myself, but still. I just think it does'nt always come through for you, so i would'nt bet the farm on it or anything. However, like you said, it's great for some people; especially newbies.

I've just learned how to be more careful; so i don't have a huge need for it anymore. It's probably a good idea to have it running even if you want to have as few services running at any one time, but i disable it first thing after a fresh install.

~FrWk

Thanks to all of you who posted information. I really appreciate it! I didn’t mention in my first post that the all log entries also said something like this at the bottom of the message (each one differs just a little):

The binary data contained in the packet was "ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 08 e2 32 10 54 08 00 45 00 01 50 30 57 00 00 ff 11 a0 1c 0a 28 e0 01 ff ff ff ff 00 43 00 44 01 3c 68 7a 02 01 06 00 0d 9a ed 20 00 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 18 18 cd 04 00 00 ".

Does that tell you if the packets have a broadcast source or destination? Also, I checked my firewall again, and although the activity and warning logs have tons of entries for 255.255.255.255 today, the current activity log lists only one for that IP. It says:

Program: SVCHOST.EXE
    Local Port: 1028 [ephemeral]
    Remote Address: 255.255.255.255
    Remote Port: 0
    Start Time: 08/26/03 11:47:28 AM
    Duration: 19884
    Sent (bytes): 0
    Received (bytes): 0

Is any of this information helpful in telling you more about what’s going on? If you say it’s nothing for me to be worried about, then I’ll just ignore the messages from now on. At least I’ll have the peace of mind that all those particular messages aren’t hacking attempts.

I regularly run SpyBot and Ad-aware, and whenever they find spyware, I get rid of it. Out of curiosity, what will disabling the items listed above do?

Thanks,
    Karin

I regularly run SpyBot and Ad-aware, and whenever they find spyware, I get rid of it. Out of curiosity, what will disabling the items listed above do?
    Look's like a good practice to me.

Only disable the items in that list after you go here--> www.blackviper.com Not all people will want to disable all of those services. Disabling services can speed up your performance aswell as shut down vulnerable ports on your machine. I disable services primarly for the two reasons i mentioned here.

~FrWk

Thanks FrameWork! I'll take a look at that site.

Karin

I'm having trouble accessing the site at the moment. It may be down temorarily. It's a great site that list the details of what each service does and how safe it is to disable them. It's worth a bookmark for sure.

Have fun.