Thread: Command line encryption program

Command line encryption program

I am looking for a command line encryption program that can encrypt a specific part of a line within a file.

The program must run on unix and idealy should be a commercial product.

Well, if you're looking for a command-line encryption program, you could try GnuPG (www.gnupg.org). It's based on Open PGP, is free, and is available for both Windows and *nix. It's pretty simple actually, I had to use it once for a class. However, it only does the whole file, not parts.

Now, I must ask because I'm curious as hell... why do you only want to encrypt *part* of a file and not the whole thing?? I don't know of any encryption program that does this, but if anyone else does, please let me know.

alpha

Well, you could extract the part of the file you want to encrypt, pipe the output into the gnupg program, and then redirect it back into the file - that should work in theory.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I need to encrypt part of the file because it is sensitive information. I won't be able to work with the rest of the data if the whole file is encrypted.

Could try importing your data to a RDBM then encrypt the data to and from specific fields within a record. Dont know if that fits your needs but I'm a believer that flat file storage often times doesnt make sense with the availabilty of quality free DBMS's like MySql. But like I said this may not suit your needs.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Actually, I am importing the data into Oracle already. The data needs to be encrypted before it is loaded into Oracle.

Well what encyrption would you like to use and how are you importing the data? I would imagine you are using a script to import your fields, just add a routine in the script to encrypt the desired data as you break up the original file before stuffing it into Oracle,then you let that bad boy rip on the data. Take a look at the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT for Oracle.

-Maestr0

Edit:
    http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/cust_fun.html
    http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/...2/dbms_ob2.htm
    http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/...2/dbms_ob3.htm
    I'm sure you could write a stored procedure to handle this stuff for you. Oracle is sum powerful mojo.
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

To be honest, I don't care what encryption I use. I am actually using Oracle's sqlload command to load the data into Oracle. The data actually is coming from a number of different machines to one central one. I require the data to be encrypted before I transfer it from the originating machine. In a pinch, I do need to be able to unencrypt the data as well.

Ok, I think I should consolidate what I am looking for.

- Command line encryption program (preferably commercial)
    - Must be able to encrypt part of a line (like position 23 to 36)
    - Must be able to decrypt the data
    - I still need to be able to use the encrypted data. I don't need to know what the data is, just that a given line is different than the next.